Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223110738050?ul_noapp=true

I wonder how much scratch the above bike will go for? D Kits are so friggin' rare, I have yet to see one in person. I know parts alone for these things are a tidy pile. So, multiple bids already and some ohhs and aahs followed by people picking it apart on social media(yeah, pick it apart all you want but I know you'd kill to have one in your garage) have ensued.

Any one wish to weigh in? Regardless of what happens, it's just cool to spot one.:cool:

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I wouldn't pick it apart at all regardless... it looks pretty damn good and just to see one, as you said, is amazing enough as they are so rare. This thing is going to go for ridiculous money

·
Registered
826 Posts
From a friend of mine that has intimate knowledge of the 450 ....

Very nice bike.....not that rare - they were also available as a production model....see page 198 of the Honda Motorcycle id Guide 1959-2000, available in metallic silver/black, candy red/black,...candy blue/black....production date is 06/24/67

Engine and frame numbers appear correct..

Yes the original Black Bomber was a slow seller when word got out just how #&***% badly it ran. End of quote.

Be interesting to see if it hits reserve ....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
To my knowledge the D was only available as a retrofit kit, despite what a book might say. I was around and working on them back then. They (D-kits) were not really common at all, at least not in the US.
K0 didn't sell much because of their looks, not the way they ran - even then we thought they looked ridiculous. Even a 4-speed runs pretty well compared to its competitors in The Day.
That bike is definitely a 4-speed head to toe, and a pretty nice one too - it will sell for a lot, probably over $10K.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I sent the link to the auction to my good friend Mark who is a motorcycle Historian and published author on motorcycle history. Here is his reply
"A friend on the east coast (the largest collector of "D" bike parts in the US) talked to the owner and he (the owner) implied that he is wanting a figure in the five digit category. Much of his information about the "D" bike is incorrect but they are certainly rare and collectable motorcycles. I am aware of at least 30 "D" bikes in the US, another 20 or so in Europe, and I had at least five people contact me who have complete or partial kits. A contact in Chicago sold a complete kit in 2017 for $7,000, he wished that he had asked for more!"
TOOLS

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I sent the link to the auction to my good friend Mark who is a motorcycle Historian and published author on motorcycle history. Here is his reply
"A friend on the east coast (the largest collector of "D" bike parts in the US) talked to the owner and he (the owner) implied that he is wanting a figure in the five digit category. Much of his information about the "D" bike is incorrect but they are certainly rare and collectable motorcycles. I am aware of at least 30 "D" bikes in the US, another 20 or so in Europe, and I had at least five people contact me who have complete or partial kits. A contact in Chicago sold a complete kit in 2017 for $7,000, he wished that he had asked for more!"
TOOLS
That all sounds about right to me. In all my years in Honda shops we only sold one D kit.
We sold more of the crazy "Dragon" paint kits than we ever sold of the D kits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice bike but the kick and the 2 rear footrest are not from the original "D" . Very difficult ( and expensive) to find.
The other parts looks good.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice bike but the kick and the 2 rear footrest are not from the original "D" . Very difficult ( and expensive) to find.
The other parts looks good.
The kick pedal yes, but the rear footrest looks just like the one at the show at Barber’s. Do both bikes have the wrong footrest?

I think the CB450 in our His form is very nice. Heck of would love to get a hold of the rear taillight bracket assembly. I think it looks superb, and more streamlined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
854 Posts
Currently at $6,100, reserve not met. I honestly don't understand seller hiding what the reserve price is, why not just tell people what the minimum price he will accept?

Reactions: TOOLS1

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I see the kick lever should have a bend at the top so it clears the muffler. I had this problem with my D kit 350;) plenty easy to cut the pipes apart and re weld at a different angle. Or just "forge" a new lever:grin:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Currently at $6,100, reserve not met. I honestly don't understand seller hiding what the reserve price is, why not just tell people what the minimum price he will accept?
Because the more bids the more boost to his ego.
“Less than 20 known worldwide." What's the source of that figure? or did he just pull it out of his ass? There's plenty of interest in it without that sort of embellishment. I remember when those kits were offered by Honda. We never bought any, CB450s didn't exactly sell like hot cakes in our local market, it would have been a lot harder yet to sell one with the extra cost of the kit added in.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Everything is about the hype today, and there's only so many times one can say "the best ever" or "the most rare find ever"... but someone is always trying to top someone

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
$11,100 and reserve still not met. Must be seeing what it will get to without him having to sell it.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
514 Posts
looks like it sold for $13,500

1 - 18 of 18 Posts