Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking for quite a while I found a nice 1972 CB 350. I kept expanding my searches (geographically), but ended up finding one locally. Engine has never been out of the bike and has 6k miles - runs great and everything works. I’m pretty stoked. Wifey wasn’t really happy about it, but now she’s asking about a helmet - meaning she wants to ride on the back of it.

I just have a little tedious clean up work that I want to do to the engine and the wheel spokes.
I’ll change out the original cables, replace some of the old Phillips machine screws on the case covers, and definitely change out the grips to something more comfortable.

You guys know where I can order some of this stuff?
Regards.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
FYI - there are NO - ZERO Phillips Head Machine screws in the cases or anywhere else on these bikes.
They are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) and the Angle of the cross point is VERY Different.
Using a Phillips head driver on them WILL Strip out the cross every time.

JIS Screw Drivers are readily available just google them.
Also usually you will need a Hand Held IMPACT Driver to loosen the Bolts are they will be corroded with a galvanic reaction from the Steel Bolts to the Aluminium Case..
Use ANIT-Seize when replacing them and do not over tighten them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI - there are NO - ZERO Phillips Head Machine screws in the cases or anywhere else on these bikes.
They are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) and the Angle of the cross point is VERY Different.
Using a Phillips head driver on them WILL Strip out the cross every time.

JIS Screw Drivers are readily available just google them.
Also usually you will need a Hand Held IMPACT Driver to loosen the Bolts are they will be corroded with a galvanic reaction from the Steel Bolts to the Aluminium Case..
Use ANIT-Seize when replacing them and do not over tighten them.
Great info. You just saved me some trouble.
Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bike looks beautiful!

Indeed, you can find JIS screwdriver sets on Amazon... but, did the bike come with the original tool kit? (there should be a multi-screwdriver set in there).

You can find many of the parts you need on 4into1.com (they are based in South San Francisco, so can pick up same day if nearby or ship otherwise).

www.DimeCityCycles.com , www.CognitoMoto.com , and www.Common-Motor.com are also good sites, however I use them as last resort for difficult to find parts since they are pricier. Amazon and eBay are also great resources.

You can find a ton of different grips options on 4into1 for cheap. You will want one grip to be 7/8” (throttle side) and 1” for the other (bare) side. They typically come in pairs that way.

And if you plan to replace the cables, highly recommend to get genuine Honda cables, not aftermarket.

Aside from the JIS screwdrivers, you will also need these handy:

1) Feeler gauge - To adjust the valves:

The standard valve clearance for your 350 is:
Intake: .05 mm (0.002" inch)
Exhaust: .10 mm (0.004" inch.)

2) Test light to set the points manually:

3) Automotive Timing Gun to check timing while running.

And if you are buying helmets, I highly recommend making sure you buy Snell or ECE rated helmets. DOT approved helmets are great bug shields, but offer almost no real protection in the event of an impact.

Bike looks great. How does the inside of the tank look?

How do the carb bowls look?

Air filter is clean?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts