Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I couldn't come up with anything on this particular bike using the search function so I thought I'd just post the question. I can walk away with it for $200.

History: It hasn't run in two years, it's been garaged for the past 10 years, has a flat rear tire, dead battery, missing plug boot, and a small dinger in the tank, title is possible with some hunting and waiting although it hasn't been transferred or tagged by the current owner since he got it 10 years ago. He seems honest enough and swears it was running right up until he parked it two years ago.

Other than showing up with a battery and cables (and possibly a plug boot) and checking to see if it will rollover any suggestions?

Worth it?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Compression tester. I don't know the minimum specs on an acceptable PSI though, sorry..

Check the title for a previous date. If previously dated then walk away. If the date is over, oh say 30 days old..

That bike is probably gonna lack power for you man. Is it just an around town bike for ya, for resale, or for your wife, etc???

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Has the same powerplant as the 250 Rebel.....good commuter bike If interstates AREN'T involved.....You can probably break even on eBay if the paperwork falls through, but get title before investing more....... :D Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Compression tester. I don't know the minimum specs on an acceptable PSI though, sorry..
Good call. I can do that.

Bird76Mojo said:
Check the title for a previous date. If previously dated then walk away. If the date is over, oh say 30 days old..
He doesn't even have a title. He inherited it from one of his father's renters who had abandoned it when they moved. He had the VIN checked for theft (it's clear) and used it for banging around the subdivision he lived in (never transferred the title or plated it in his name).

Bird76Mojo said:
That bike is probably gonna lack power for you man. Is it just an around town bike for ya, for resale, or for your wife, etc???

You nailed it on number three; the wife wants to learn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
...but get title before investing more....... :D Steve
I'll certainly try. The wife already said I have to play by the rules and tag it - not that I wouldn't, but I mentioned she could easily enough learn in our back yard on it... didn't fly with her.

So, if it looks to be in decent condition, rolls over, and has good compression I'll likely offer $175 just for having to deal with the title issue. Worse case scenario I suppose I'll be parting it out to recoup some $$.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'd start lower on that asking price if it were me. Bikes without a title I always treat as parts bikes only, regardless whether a title can be gotten or not. Offer him junk price first and go from there. You might be surprised how little you can snag it for...?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
I'd start lower on that asking price if it were me. Bikes without a title I always treat as parts bikes only, regardless whether a title can be gotten or not. Offer him junk price first and go from there. You might be surprised how little you can snag it for...?

Oops. You know, as you were typing your post I was likely standing with the seller saying, "It's a deal!" :oops:

Anyway, got it for $175 AND he's delivering it tomorrow (I'm currently pickup-less). Nice thing was he had it running when I showed up. It definitely needs brakes and a serious carb cleaning. Oil change. Cables lubed. New battery, new plugs, new tube in the rear tire, fork oil changed, new chain, headlamp, replacement bucket ear, tank dent filled and repainted, fuel filter replaced, etc, etc. And then it'll be nothing but elbow grease! See? Not much at all! Yeah. Who's the winner in this deal, eh? Yeah, that's right. This guy!

:roll: :lol:

Who'm I kidding? It's just a fun little project I can use as an excuse to waste time and money on. If I had to justify hobby expenses I'd be one seriously bored dude, nor do I think I'd be the only one. I'll throw some pics up later just for giggles, although I'm sure you all know what Honda Rebel looks like.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tbpmusic said:
If you can't get a title, you're throwing money away - might as well just give the money to me... :shock: :shock: :lol:
Now, did you want the check made out to "William" or is "Bill" fine? :roll: :lol:

It may not end up being too much of a problem after all. I opened the manual and found a string of contacts to start hunting down the title holder. We'll see. I shall keep you posted to give you an idea when you can expect the check. ;)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts