Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but have been using the Honda VTX forum for several years now. VTX Owners Association

I have been looking for a vintage bike for a while to customize and came across a 1974 Honda CB450 the other day but was wondering if it's a good purchase or not. Here is what I know so far:
(please keep in mind that I am VERY new at working on motorcycles but I have ridden most of my adulthood)

1. It has new Tachs so no telling how many original miles is on it.
2. Has trouble starting (going over there this weekend to ride it if he can get it running.
3. kickstarter is off and they installed an electric starter.
4. 2nd owner, man doesn't know much about bikes and doesn't want to spend the time or money to fix it up.

He is wanting $2,400.00 for it. It is in good condition from what I can see. (see attached pics)

Future plans: If i buy this I am leaning more of a custom rebuild, (paint, handlebars, maybe frame and maybe engine work for more power) Mainly a show bike.

Soooo..... Is this a good buy? I have been seeing these bikes listed for $3,300 and higher on ebay.

IMG_2790.JPG IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2792.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
For an all original, turn key bike that would be the top of the value. For a non running bike, it is too high. JMO.

Reactions: 76TWIN

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I agree, for a non-running bike that's a bit high of a price tag.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Has trouble starting (going over there this weekend to ride it if he can get it running.
Take a compression tester (at the very least), a spark plug wrench, and a flashlight (and maybe a mirror). Check the compression (directions can be found here with a little searching if you don't know how, when, why, and what readings to look for) and visually inspect the pistons the best you can. It just occurred to me that if a person knows about a major problem and hadn't planned on telling the potential buyer, he/she might end up doing so if/when it appears that the purchaser will find it in the inspection, lol. (IDK.)

3. kickstarter is off and they installed an electric starter.
Could "kickstarter is off" mean that more is broken than just the kickstarter? IOW, broken pieces floating around in there or...? And did this model not come with an electric starter as standard?

man doesn't know much about bikes and doesn't want to spend the time or money to fix it up.
That could be true. It is just as possible that he learned that there is a major issue (or that he caused one) that will cost time/money to rectify. <SHRUGS> He might even know of an issue and just not want to mention it ("Err, I don't really know anything about motorcycles...").

He is wanting $2,400.00 for it.
That seems like a LOT for a non-running motorcycle. A person might have trouble getting that much out of a non-running CBX, lol. And I didn't see the words "valid title in the current possessor's name" mentioned anywhere, either. If he doesn't have that, don't pay over $400 for it, lol.

It does look decent, though. Be a good example to fix up and leave stock (IMHO). Again, depending on exactly what is wrong with it (automatically assume that you'd have LOTS of regular maintenance to catch up on, need to replace old tires (due to age, not visible condition), front and rear brakes (ditto), et cetera) - even if you find out what is keeping it from starting, do NOT assume that is the only issue <SHRUGS>.

BtW, you should read this thread before you go. If you have questions about any of it, ask before looking at a motorcycle and someone might (probably will) be able to explain what things you can (easily) check during a pre-purchase inspection.
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

I have been seeing these bikes listed for $3,300 and higher on ebay.
A person can ask anything they want for something.

Put your zip code into this:
Code:
http://www.searchtempest.com/
along with whatever you want to search for, and give it a maximum range. It'll return results from all the CraigsList pages within that range. Again, you'll just see asking prices, but...

Regards,

·
Registered
273 Posts
+1 to MDM's comments.

I bought a '76 Cb500T a few years back, and it was a PITA to start. It would also foul out after the 3rd start. The PO explained that it was a carb issue he needed to spend more time on. I bought it for $1400. Couldn't solve the carb issue, found out that the timing was off, and that the valves were way out of adjustment. Fixed that, and then it started backfiring through the right carb. Compression tested it, and has very low compression on the right cylinder. Put a rubber glove over the right carb intake and kicked the bike over, and it filled the glove right up like a balloon. Took the top off the engine, and found that the PO heli-coiled the right sparkplug hole (poorly) and bent some aluminum up under the valve. Valve Job!

In hind sight, I would not have paid over $1000 for the bike.

The bike you have there 'looks' to be in good shape. If there's no rust (check in the tank too) the electrics seem good, you can find a way to install a kick starter (see a buddy with the same bike to 'borrow one' and install it briefly on the new bike. I would not pay more than $1500 if it doesn't seem broken. if the kick doesn't do anything - 500 bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Welcome to a fellow okie and possible 450 owner. I love mine, I wanted one for longer than I can care to count and I can say with out hesitation that as it is stock it is an awesome bike! It just does all that I want to do and then some to for something that is at least 8 years older than I am.

That is a great condition looking machine and as it sits even if it doesn't run is worth a decent dollar in this state. They are few and far between around here it took 3 years of looking before I found mine. I would NOT do a thing to it other than get it running and enjoy the ever loving hell out of it. It will only gain value as it gets older and it can more than keep up with bikes its size around town. I bet in the city it would be a blast to crank around on. I live out in the sticks and mine is just too much fun to back road bomb.

That being said, non running its worth around 1500 easy to part out so I wouldn't go much above that. Engines are not hard to work on just know that these have lots of moving parts that can end up causing issues. Non of the parts are hard to find if you have the cash to toss at it, ebay is flooded with parts.

Any questions on it hit me up, I'm fairly confident in them now after building one out of a trailer full of parts. If you want a mess of parts to build a custom out of I might be talked out of my parts pile.... :lol:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It is worth what you want to pay. If the exhaust, tank (inside & out), seat, frame, chrome are as good as the pictures make it look, make an offer. From what I can tell, that bike with a good engine is worth top dollar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts