Honda Twins banner

Fork Stem question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Alan F. 
#1 ·
I'v found a '79 CB750 front end that I want to use on my '72 CB450. Just wondering if the stems are the same or will I have to make modifications? Are the stems pressed, welded, screwed in or what? I'll have every thing but the front wheel and brake with these forks and I'll go with a CB750 wheel with spokes and a disc. No cast wheels.

#2 ·
Can't speak to whether or not they will fit as far as the steering stem, but the stem shafts are welded into the lower triple clamp on Hondas AFAIK. I have seen the stem shafts cut from one lower triple and welded into another to make different forks fit, but it's not an easy task for someone without proper equipment. I do know the '78 and back CB750s (K8 back to K1, possibly even K0) shared fork tube size with the later CB450 once the disc brake came to the CB450 (K3 and later)

#4 ·
Thanks to ancientdad and AlanF. for the info. Since I initially posted, I had found the 450 and 750 tubes were 35mm. The interchangeability of the wheels will be a big help. I'll soon have CB450 trees on the way and I'll use CB750 tubes, lowers and try to find a 750 wheel with disc brake. Thanks again for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.