Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, any tricks to getting the seals out? Will I need to take the whole lower case apart? I'm not seeing how I will get the seal out without destroying something.

*edit* I can see i'm going to have to get this tube apart to remove the seal, but I have no idea how. I like to use the diagrams on bikebandit, but the one for these forks isn't too precise-- it doesn't even show the screw that goes up the bottom. I've got the top cap, circlip, and bottom screw removed, but there's no sign that anything is coming apart without using a whole lotta force.

What am i missing??

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
I don't have anything specific to SL175s but here is an excerpt from a CB350 factory manual
(email me if it doesn't post properly at [email protected])

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have done a few of my 175's using all methods.

The easy way is to remove the cir clip. Then apply a small amount of heat with a little torch around the top section of the lower legs. Use the front axel through the lower section, stand on the axle to steady things then just pull up on the fork tube.

If you used just enough heat the seal will pop right out. Clean everything up and pop in the new seals.

I can do a set in under an hour now.

Gene

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
"bang" the tube up and down to drive the seal out (as you stand on the axle)...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, i'll give it another shot tonight. Next step was to try a little heat. For whatever reason, using the axle itself for leverage never crossed my mind. :oops:

:D

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Too obvious..... We often overlook the easy methods by "overthinking".... At least I sometimes do..... :lol: Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that did the trick. I really had to pop on that slider hard before I got the seal to budge.

I like to get someone's "permission" before beating on things too hard anymore. Could I be getting wise in my older age??
:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts