Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a set of fork seals for my 1971 CL450, and they're too large. I bought this set before I knew that the forks changed a bit over the years, and I couldn't remember if the set I bought had years they fit listed. I bought another set that was supposed to fir the 1971, but it also was too large. What size seals so I need to get that will actually fit my shocks? The inner diameter is fine for the tubes but the outer diameter is too large.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you buy Honda fork seals from your Honda dealer, they will be the right size.
I have not found an aftermarket supplier yet that can give the right size fork seals for a vintage Honda.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
fasterspider said:
I have not found an aftermarket supplier yet that can give the right size fork seals for a vintage Honda.
Are you telling me the K & S seals I installed are bunk??
What brands did you try? Did the seals leak on you? Bad fitment from the start?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't know if they leak, they just don't fit into the fork tube. I looked at the measurements listed on one of the ebay auctions and they appear to be 2mm larger than the ones from Honda.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
PokeJoe said:
I wouldn't know if they leak, they just don't fit into the fork tube. I looked at the measurements listed on one of the ebay auctions and they appear to be 2mm larger than the ones from Honda.
I'm sorry... my mistake. That fasterspider replied lead me to believe we were discussing 350s, rather than 450s or even "vintage Hondas" in general.
I purchased my seals from Z1enterprises... they fit snugly, as it seems they should... perhaps they would have the correct set?
If not, OEM is always the best bet anyway for proper fitment (even if not for cost).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A set from Honda seems like the safest bet at this point. I don't want to have to end up ordering a 4th set.

·
Registered
785 Posts
thrilhou said:
PokeJoe said:
I'm sorry... my mistake. That fasterspider replied lead me to believe we were discussing 350s, rather than 450s or even "vintage Hondas" in general.
I purchased my seals from Z1enterprises... they fit snugly, as it seems they should... perhaps they would have the correct set?
If not, OEM is always the best bet anyway for proper fitment (even if not for cost).
I am sorry if my post confused you, I was just generalizing our old Hondas.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
fasterspider said:
I am sorry if my post confused you, I was just generalizing our old Hondas.
No problem. My fault for not paying close enough attention to the OP.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It's a puzzlement, as K3 through K7 all list 35X48X11 as the seal size, yet a huge range of parts numbers.

I know that's of little help, but.......

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just order new seals for my '70 450 about a month ago. I bought oem type from bikebandit and noticed before ordering that they had two sizes. Didn't make sense to me so I just grabbed a pair of calipers and measured the OD of my old seals and did the conversion to mm and they fit great. If I'm not mistaken mine took the 46mm not the larger 48mm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts