Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pretty conscientious in taking photos during my dis-assembly process but failed to take photos or make note of the orientation of the fork seals when I removed them. I am at the point of installing my new ones and need help with which way they go in. One side has a larger groove, the other side has a smaller groove and has letter and numbers on it. This is for an SL350 k2 and they are Honda factory seals.
DSC02494.JPG DSC02495.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Usually they are triple lipped seals, 2 down towards 'pressure' and one up to keep dirt out.
If they are double lip, one side should either have a larger 'spring' or top may not have any spring on seal lip
You should be able to read the numbers when fitted

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The second pic looks correct.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Cross-sectionally, the rubber wipers are essentially triangular "squeegies"....
The "point" of that triangle should point towards the oil it is restraining.....
Then, when oil pressure is applied to the hollow underneath, it forces the sealing edge tighter against the tube.....
IF inverted, the pressure would open the seal and leak past....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I will be installing with the larger groove down (towards the oil) and the smaller groove with the writing up. Sorry that the pics didn't come out real clear, there are springs on both sides and the wider grooved side is also deeper which makes sense from the oil pressure aspect. Thanks for all the quick responses - dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts