Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

When I bought my bike (81 CB400T Nighthawk) the forks had some light oil streaking (but no pitting or scratches) so I'm wondering exactly what wearable parts I should be replacing when I rebuild them (also planning to repaint the bottoms). There doesn't seem to be any full fork rebuild kits available, leaving me to piece together my own. As you can imagine, i'm trying to order everything at once to avoid repeat-international shipments.

So far, I'm planning to get the following from cmsnl:
1 x Oil seal set Front Fork - part nr:00000KIT0527
2 x Ring Oil Seal Stop - part nr:90601369000
2 x Circlip internal - part nr:51447447731

If this is a relative minor refresh, do I need to look at replacing the bush guides and sliders? Washers? fork piston rings? new dust seals?

I'm also ordering Bikers choice fork boots (39mm - short) from Fortnine (just because I like that look). If there's anything I should know about installing those (how to join them to the dust seals?), please feel free to advise.

It's my first time rebuilding forks, so I'm planning to follow the manual, and this handy guide, and probably a bunch of youtube.

Thanks very much.

Galt

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
All you need is the seals and the scrapers/boots to rebuild your forks. I have never needed bushings or retainers unless they were damaged by a previous mechanic. Your forks should use ATF for oil. I would recommend just going to your local Honda dealer to get the parts. Mine keeps that stuff in stock.
TOOLS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Tools,

By scrapers I assume you mean the dust seals.

Do you know if the boots clamp around the seals, or do they just float in place on the fork?

Thanks for the info. You just saved me a ton of unnecessary work and $. Cheers :)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Does your bike have gators or dust boots/scrapers? Either one should just slip onto the top of the fork slider.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Not to disagree with Tools, but if the bushings are the Teflon coated type you might want to replace them too. My Goldwings have Teflon bushings in them. Most of the Teflon was gone on my 1100 at 54K miles. I wouldn't buy bay thing until it has been disassembled and inspected.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
There is a lot of difference between a 300lb Honda twin and an 850lb Gold Wing. Not surprised that a Gold Wing might need them.
TOOLS

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a '82 CM450C that's absolutely crying fluid from the forks. Is it also possible I just need the fork seals and dust covers replaced? None of the bushings and whatnot?

It's got 13k miles, and I bought it August last year before which it was in storage since 1997. None of the rubber looks worn or cracked (even the 40-year-old tires) because it was garage kept.

thanks! (saw this post in the trending email)

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I've got a '82 CM450C that's absolutely crying fluid from the forks. Is it also possible I just need the fork seals and dust covers replaced? None of the bushings and whatnot?

It's got 13k miles, and I bought it August last year before which it was in storage since 1997. None of the rubber looks worn or cracked (even the 40-year-old tires) because it was garage kept.

thanks! (saw this post in the trending email)
Maybe, fork seals are rubber and time is the enemy of rubber. Tear into it and see what you need. I think seals are the minimum. I would buy the dust covers too. You can lift up the dust covers and see if the c-clips are ok.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You should use 20w fork oil. ATF was the best thing around in 1980...
You only need a pint, forget the twin pack of oil.
The measurement is the most important thing!
As for the Bushings, your looking for copper material showing. My 1980 CM400T didn't need anything other than the seal kit. (o-rings & dust seals)
One thing you will need though, an Allen socket long enough to do the Left Fork. I think it's a 5mm? You definitely want to drain the existing fork oil by removing the drain plug! You also want to buy the Metric O-rings (for the air over hydraulic front suspension - there are 5 o-rings total)! Partzilla or Southern Honda! You should put a shopping list together - shipping is $15 and the o-rings are about $6.00. I'm pretty sure David Silver Spares has them too. I also found with dss, just because it doesn't show up on the model search doesn't mean they don't have it. You may want to do a part number search too!

If you are doing the Forks, you should probably count on rebuilding the caliper too! Count on replacing the Piston! Buy the kit! Measure the Piston Before You Order The Kit!!! (There are Two Piston Sizes!)
Any questions? Message me! Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much for the info! Front brakes are working great, just flushed the fluid. I'll definitely shoot you a note when I'm digging into it all. This alleviates some of the anxiety. If I was gonna have to do more than just seals, I was gonna pay someone to do it...

You should use 20w fork oil. ATF was the best thing around in 1980...
You only need a pint, forget the twin pack of oil.
The measurement is the most important thing!
As for the Bushings, your looking for copper material showing. My 1980 CM400T didn't need anything other than the seal kit. (o-rings & dust seals)
One thing you will need though, an Allen socket long enough to do the Left Fork. I think it's a 5mm? You definitely want to drain the existing fork oil by removing the drain plug! You also want to buy the Metric O-rings (for the air over hydraulic front suspension - there are 5 o-rings total)! Partzilla or Southern Honda! You should put a shopping list together - shipping is $15 and the o-rings are about $6.00. I'm pretty sure David Silver Spares has them too. I also found with dss, just because it doesn't show up on the model search doesn't mean they don't have it. You may want to do a part number search too!

If you are doing the Forks, you should probably count on rebuilding the caliper too! Count on replacing the Piston! Buy the kit! Measure the Piston Before You Order The Kit!!! (There are Two Piston Sizes!)
Any questions? Message me! Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts