Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Theres an issue with this bike, being mainly the forks, when I bought it, I thought the forks were in alright condition as they were soft, but didn't seem like they were leaking. Oh boy turns out I was wrong. As it turns out, they basically leaked out all the oil. I probably had around 100ml maybe 200ml once it was all poured out, don't mind the pink stuff, thats ATF I think from someone elses project. However this stuff smells like just death.
photo_2020-01-29_17-08-53.jpg

Springs seem fine and within spec for length. So ill be keeping them. However when I was pulling out the fork leg, the "Back-up plate" As per the parts fiche, decided to lodge itself within the cavity that is the space for the circlip. And shreded itself. I can't seem to find any replacements, partzilla doesn't have any available. and I can't find it on ebay. Anyone have a suggestion? "Back-up Plate" and "Back-up ring" are what im assuming I need. I haven't been able to get the seal out, its very brittle. Im still working on getting it out of there.

Delicious grime and 38 years of sitting.
photo_2020-01-29_17-08-05.jpg
photo_2020-01-29_17-08-03.jpg

However, I think its possible to get them back to decent shape. If anyone has any ideas on where to get the right parts, please let me know. Or anything else I should know about these forks.
photo_2020-01-29_17-08-07.jpg

Its little storage spot for now

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
The forks are only supposed to have something like 120-140cc of oil each. It does look like it's been mixed with water though so who knows. Good thing you're redoing them.
If you put something on the silver part to protect it you can pry the old seals out, they do take a bit of force and I don't think I've managed to get a pair out intact in three tries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The forks are only supposed to have something like 120-140cc of oil each. It does look like it's been mixed with water though so who knows. Good thing you're redoing them.
If you put something on the silver part to protect it you can pry the old seals out, they do take a bit of force and I don't think I've managed to get a pair out intact in three tries.

Thank you, seems though the manual calls for 220ml in each leg

Here ya go, used in lots of different bikes just scroll down to see the list.

Partzilla.com
Now this is what im looking for, thank you.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Makes sense, I should have realized the later air forks would have different oil specs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Christ. Sometimes I'm truly a brainlet. I meant the back up plate not ring. I have an extra set of back up rings.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Looks like they were there when you disassembled the forks:

It looks like the diameter is the same as the OD of the springs, if it were me I'd find a washer or coin to replace it and reassemble. I don't suppose the hole diameter at the center is critical or even necessary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we're confusing stuff, the part that got mangled and that I need is this washer that goes below the circlip.. The washer that you linked is the small one in the picture that goes between the springs, and the one that I do not need.
158067502169657970962422178354.jpg

·
Registered
804 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I linked you to the two washers found in the fork for your bike. (Not counting the sealing washer on the 6mm cap screw at the very bottom)
And neither part is what you want.

I'm losing hope in my ability to read and understand what you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I wasn't clear, apologies

.In the below picture, The part I need is number 7, and in the image I linked in the OP it is called a back-up plate. The issue is that no one has it in stock.

Thank you guys for your help, even though I feel as though I am being clear enough

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
To clarify, your bike is a 1982 CM450C?

If I go to partzilla.com and look up
51422-376-305
(which I had first referenced as the part you need) and if I scroll down to the Related Fitment section, i find your bike listed there.

This is the same part with a different part number, Honda eventually started doing things that way in the 80s. It doesn't look like I'm going to convince you that it will work though.

Perhaps someone has their 1985 CB450SC forks apart and can post some pics and measurements?

Here, have a look at this.
Right fork lower, 1985 CB450SC
Scroll down to Related Fitment and the second bike listed is your 1982 CM450C. But if I can't convince you you that it'll fit your bike, I guess I cant help you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes, my bike is an 1982 Honda CM450C

I can understand parts from several bikes can fit on other bikes. I have ordered 51422-376-305 as well to replace the older part in the forks. However, they fit in different spots and serve different purposes, maybe the picture is lying to me, but I see the part you're linking to is a part I pulled out of my forks that is a cupped spacer. This is the part you are referencing.

51422-376-305

This is what I need for my forks
51413-447-731

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
YES it seems you are CORRECT that I'm pointing you to the wrong part. I'm sorry, I hate barking up the wrong tree...

Perhaps this will help:
From 2016 CMX250
It may well be the same part and fit all of the twins with 33mm forks
Fork seal dimensions are the same between your bike and the 250 Rebel.
33mm x 46mm x 11mm

PLUS IT'S AVAILABLE!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YES it seems you are CORRECT that I'm pointing you to the wrong part. I'm sorry, I hate barking up the wrong tree...

Perhaps this will help:
From 2016 CMX250
It may well be the same part and fit all of the twins with 33mm forks
Fork seal dimensions are the same between your bike and the 250 Rebel.
33mm x 46mm x 11mm

PLUS IT'S AVAILABLE!
Thank you, I will try this part, if the thickness is too much, ill try turning it down on the lathe.. I would have prefered an OEM drop in replacement, but its also an option.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I found one for you https://www.jauce.com/auction/n325020062
It's a little complicated dealing with this site. You'll have to register, transfer funds to cover the costs, click the UNBLOCK link and wait for a few hours to be able to buy it. Takes about a week to ship after you've purchased, and then a few more days. If you buy today then I'd expect to see it in a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts