Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
82 Nighthawk manual calls for ATF to be used fork fork oil? Is that ok? Or should I go with #10 fork oil? Thx

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s what I was hoping for.. lol. Definitely cheaper. Now the question is what brand? F type for Ford or the brand for GM? Lol

·
Registered
805 Posts
ATF will work just fine, it's a little lighter than 10W (how much lighter will depend on the brand and there's not really a way to tell, lighter = bouncier suspension). It's good enough especially if you're just going around town and not worried about aggressive cornering. Fork oil is good because it's designed specifically for use in forks and you know which viscosity you're getting.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Its always best to go with the manual . I know some riders who use the same oil they use in their motor. It all depends on how stiff you want your front forks. 80cb400t is right the lighter the oil the softer the forks.

Just some thoughts.

Bill

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well Tools1 yes I am,lol Reading the service manual and it says to install
Bushing, oil seal, back up plate, snap ring then dust seal. but picture shows and this is the
way I removed it. Bushing, back up plate,oil seal, snap ring then dust seal. Service manual
is a little contradicting because it shows it both ways?? See attached note. CDC9C559-C113-436B-A717-8C872681BCAD.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well now I’m looking at another parts diagram and it shows. Bushing, backup ring,oil seal back up plate, snap ring and dust seal? I’m confused as heck. I didn’t have a back up plate? Just looked at microfiche from Western Honda. I’m good.. thx guys..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Pete89 but I have found some discrepancies with manuals, that’s why ask you guys on here. Some of these guys are the experts.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There are some discrepancies between the 1982-85 CB/CM 450 FSM and the 1986 CB450SC FSM, the former covers the SC and the latter is specific to the model. I recommend downloading both version regardless of year for the SC people.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yessir Pete... I appreciate it.. I tend to ask a few more questions than I probably should, but that’s part of the learning
process as well. I am going with ATF. If it was good enough for Honda in 1982, it’s still good enough today!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts