Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can anyone shed any light on the correct viscosity oil that should be used in the CB450 K0 Front forks.
I have tried googling "Idemitsu Condor No3 oil", sadly to no avail.
I would be very gratefull for some pointers.
Thanks in advance.
Nige

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Nige, That would be a question Chris (GAMD5) would be best suited to answer.... Perhaps you should e-mail or PM him..... My references state ATF as a correct fluid replacement.... Steve
No word on the 450 seat rubbers yet.................

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Personally, I hate ATF, and use Fork Oil (oddly enough), which is available in a wide variety of weights.
I rarely deviate from Ol' Man Honda's suggestions, but there are things I take exception to.

I'd probably start off trying 15 weight on stock 450 forks of any vintage, then move up or down as performance and feel indicated.
Any 450 forks are pretty much gonna "clunk", even at their best.
K0 forks are a pretty old design, so don't expect them to ever function like Cerianis........

I've always held that the most important mods you can make to a 450 (actually, any old Honda) to improve handling/performance are newer shocks/forks. Mess with the engine all you want, you still need to get that power to the ground safely.......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I'm with Bill on suspension improvements..... I'd "kill" for some 35mm racing Cerianis.. (and at current prices, that's apparently the only way I'd get them...YIKES! )

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
I'm with Bill on suspension improvements..... I'd "kill" for some 35mm racing Cerianis.. (and at current prices, that's apparently the only way I'd get them...YIKES! )
I know -

I had a pair of CB450 K2's, bought new.
In 1971, I upgraded both with Cerianis and Koni shocks.

I recall paying $250 for the Cerianis..... :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: :? :?

Nowadays they cost thousands of dollars. :cry: :cry: :cry:

But they were SWEET !!! I could drive across angled railroad tracks with hands off the bars, and nary a twitch from them - beautiful.
As I recall, they ran 5 weight fork oil........

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The closest I'm likely to get is the "Baby Cerianis" that were factory on the Sprints... I still intend to put a set on my 175 Cafe' bike...After I finish the "Vintage Look" (CL 72 replica/look-alike) version of the 175 Sloper engined Vert.....

.... Too many projects, not nearly enough time or money!...... :cry:

Keep your eyes open for a 160 or 175 sloper engine (spare) for me....But it has to be close and cheap!....

·
Registered
439 Posts
just for comparison purposes, I have a set of Betor forks on my B44 Victor. to me, less expensive than Cerianis but equally dependable. They come up for auction fairly often, might be worth checking out. danWI

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
good find! too bad i dont need them... hope someone here gets a great deal on these ;)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Even though they are "period" dirt forks, they will have more travel, (probably 6" compared to a 4" or 4 1/2" travel "normal" street fork), softer springing and faster rebound timing....The main springs could be switched, and the travel limited by a shorter guide rod, but the internal valving would be difficult to alter (stiffen/slow) for street usage, and even harder to find/replace with the correct parts.....( it's Hard to drill holes smaller).....
A set of 78/79 CB750F forks would be as good as the results of the highly altered "dirt" Cerianis, and probably as cheap overall, plus parts are commonly available.
NO WAY NEAR as cool, but they are ready for disc brake or drum brake mounting requirements.......JMHO.... Steve

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
66Sprint said:
Even though they are "period" dirt forks, they will have more travel, (probably 6" compared to a 4" or 4 1/2" travel "normal" street fork), softer springing and faster rebound timing....The main springs could be switched, and the travel limited by a shorter guide rod, but the internal valving would be difficult to alter (stiffen/slow) for street usage, and even harder to find/replace with the correct parts.....( it's Hard to drill holes smaller).....
A set of 78/79 CB750F forks would be as good as the results of the highly altered "dirt" Cerianis, and probably as cheap overall, plus parts are commonly available.
NO WAY NEAR as cool, but they are ready for disc brake or drum brake mounting requirements.......JMHO.... Steve
Makes that Kawaka 900 i posted a while back with Ceriani's and GT750 front wheel look VERY cheep at $750ish if i remember right.

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes INDEED Rod, ...That was priced nicely, I just didn't have the cash...LOL.... :D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Um, I don't think he ever got the answer he was looking for, concerning the Cb450K0 Fork oil?

Gordon (Ilbikes) completely rebuilt one and should be able to tell you ANYTHING that you want (or need) to know about the 450K0 Forks or any other part of the 450K0.

;) Bill

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
bill440cars said:
Um, I don't think he ever got the answer he was looking for, concerning the Cb450K0 Fork oil?

Gordon (Ilbikes) completely rebuilt one and should be able to tell you ANYTHING that you want (or need) to know about the 450K0 Forks or any other part of the 450K0.

;) Bill
I'm pretty sure I gave him an answer......

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
tbpmusic said:
bill440cars said:

;) Bill
I'm pretty sure I gave him an answer......

Yeah, I see it now, I kinda got lost in all of the other conversation, I guess. I didn't see it at first, as I was kinda going over it and just thought that Gordon (Ilbikes) would be a good reference on those, since he built one and learns ALL about that is possible. My mistake.

;) Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Honda factory service manual published in 1969 says simply "hydraulic fluid"
285~295cc.
The Clymer book says 10-30wt and ATF for K5 and later.
Use fork oil!
15W is (like Steve says) the best for all around.

Trouble is, my K5 isn't covered in the factory manual and Clymer says in one place, 135~145cc
then in another, 185~191cc
(which is why I don't trust em)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Bob, my books show 140cc/4.8oz exchange (just drained), 160cc/5.4 oz if disassembled(dry) for the K5 forks..... Steve :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's the amount I'll use-- thanks!
Mine are dry-- very dry! Can you say brake clean and compressed air dry!
I have polished the lower legs. They flat out gleam! And that's for the racer!
Can't wait til I start on the street bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts