Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed my fork legs ready to replace the seals, above the seal housing is a chrome ring which appears to have 2 indents to hold the ring on, do I drill these out to remove the ring and if so how do I re-secure after the rebuild.
Any other tips for this job would be appreciated.

1973 CL175 K7(same forks as CL200)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Malcolm... It should have two slots with 90 degree pockets (think inverted bayonet bulb socket)
Slight rotation and pull....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
This of course, is based on the early 175 forks....It may not apply to the 200 type with that short chrome piece.....If it's ultimately covered-up, you could always drill out the "dimple".....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No luck trying to twist chrome ring off yet.

On the one leg which had shown signs of leaking, as I removed the drain bolt the oil shot out horizontally as if under pressure, the wheel was out and forks were under no compression, any thoughts on this.

Picture of one of the forks showing the dimples.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Malcolm... Those are definately different from what I'm familiar with.... However, if you take out the allen bolt in the bottom of the slider, shouldn't the steel legs pull out?... maybe you can figure it out from a different perspective...

·
Registered
78 Posts
For future reference, these are the same as on my CB175 K7 (73).
At one point on the slider, there is a rectangular notch. just enough to allow a small scredriver or chisel to got onto the edge of the cover. A few light taps with a hammer got mine moving enough to then get the chisel on the opposite side. Working around the cover tapping with the chisel removed it farily easily. No twisting required, it is just pressed on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts