Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 cb350; it's been 'resting' for about 10 years. I have it running, but in a short ride around the yard, the forks dive like crazy. I see info about replacing seals, but it seems the springs are probably tired too - yet I've found nothing about springs. Before I tear into them any advice on what I'm likely to need other than seals and patience?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
If you are not leaking oil, it is not the seals unless all the oil has leaked out.

There are drain plugs on the side of the forks near the bottom. It sounds like you either have no oil, or not enough, or the oil is contaminated.

Check the manual for the quantity of oil needed, and change the fork oil. If it comes out dirty or full of water, you will then know the reason.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Don't use thick oil, all it does is stop forks working properly.
Even though Honda rarely gives a spec, measuring oil level is a better way to 'tune' forks rather than just adding XXXcc and calling it good.
You measure oil level with springs out and fork compressed
Start around 6" from top if still dives too easy add 1/2" of oil then test again.
It's a little time consuming but does give much better results
The extra oil takes away some of the air space between top cap and oil so gives a little progressive air springing
For the last 6~7 yrs I've been using 10w/30 full synthetic engine oil in 'old style' damper rod forks with really great results

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Actually the FSM for the 250-350's does give exact spec's for how much oil to use in the forks for the various models of forks.

This Chart is from Page # 68 of the FSM:

fork.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I should have been more specific.
Honda only gives a quantity not a height measurement
Oil level is a better way to 'tune' forks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts