Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get my lower fork legs powder coated and replace the seals, but i cannot get the bottom bolt off (#12 in fiche). i've been wailing it with the impact wrench with no success.

There are no springs in the fork tubes. would that make a difference?
Did i miss a step before trying to remove it?

ps it's a CB360T set of forks...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
danfr said:
put the springs in and no such luck. once my room-mate gets home, i'll get him to press down on the tubes while i give em a crack. fingers crossed...
Pressing down on the tubes is not going to help. You need to pull the tube apart and hold as much tension on it as possible to keep that damping rod from turning.

If that doesn't work then I recommend you find a buddy or a shop that has an impact wrench.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MNellis said:
danfr said:
put the springs in and no such luck. once my room-mate gets home, i'll get him to press down on the tubes while i give em a crack. fingers crossed...
Pressing down on the tubes is not going to help. You need to pull the tube apart and hold as much tension on it as possible to keep that damping rod from turning.

If that doesn't work then I recommend you find a buddy or a shop that has an impact wrench.
where is the damping rod on the fiche? i'm trying to understand the fork works...

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
The damping rod is #9. It is held tight down by that bolt (12). It fits inside the upper tube (3). Part (9) is fixed and moves in and out of the upper tube as it (9) and the lower leg (5) move up and down.

I just disassembled my own Honda FT500 Ascot fork legs earlier today, and you DO have to pull the fork leg APART to put some load on the damper rod (9) to hold it from spinning. And even then, it's not a given. I had to clamp the lower leg in the vise, pull out on the upper leg and use an air-impact wrench to get mine loose.

Good luck,

Kirk

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Here's a shot of my FT500 fork leg disassembled. All damper rod forks are pretty much the same.

The damper rod is the tube in the middle with the small spring at the left end. The damper rod fits inside the upper fork tube (just beneath the damper rod in the photo) and bolts down in the bottom of the lower fork leg (just above the damper in the photo). The brighter aluminum fitting on the right end of the damper is the fitting block that fits in the bottom of the lower leg.

So, as the lower fork leg moves up and down over road bumps, etc. the damper rod moves inside the upper tube (even as the lower leg is moving outside the upper tube). The damper rod moves thru the oil, forcing the oil thru the small holes at the top of the damper and the larger holes near the bottom. The combination of those holes, their placement and diameters and the viscosity of the fluid determine the fork's damping characteristics.

That split-collar on the fork tube is a guide bushing. You can see on mine that there are splotches of copper showing thru. This is because the sliding metal (kind of like babbit metal, I think) is wearing off, exposing the copper of the base metal. This bushing needs replacing.

The oil seal and dust shield fit in the top of the lower fork leg and are held in place by the large C-clip you see.

And that's all I know about 'em. :)

Kirk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kirkn said:
Here's a shot of my FT500 fork leg disassembled. All damper rod forks are pretty much the same.

The damper rod is the tube in the middle with the small spring at the left end. The damper rod fits inside the upper fork tube (just beneath the damper rod in the photo) and bolts down in the bottom of the lower fork leg (just above the damper in the photo). The brighter aluminum fitting on the right end of the damper is the fitting block that fits in the bottom of the lower leg.

So, as the lower fork leg moves up and down over road bumps, etc. the damper rod moves inside the upper tube (even as the lower leg is moving outside the upper tube). The damper rod moves thru the oil, forcing the oil thru the small holes at the top of the damper and the larger holes near the bottom. The combination of those holes, their placement and diameters and the viscosity of the fluid determine the fork's damping characteristics.

That split-collar on the fork tube is a guide bushing. You can see on mine that there are splotches of copper showing thru. This is because the sliding metal (kind of like babbit metal, I think) is wearing off, exposing the copper of the base metal. This bushing needs replacing.

The oil seal and dust shield fit in the top of the lower fork leg and are held in place by the large C-clip you see.

And that's all I know about 'em. :)

Kirk
wow! i'll be sure to re-read this. thanks kirk!

i did manage to get the forks apart with the help of a buddy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts