Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta question or just checking to make sure i did it right, the manual is kinda vague.

air box- does the lip of the metal frame that has the foam filter wrapped around it butte up against the black tube leading out or does the lip fit inside the black tube? I want to make sure I get a good seal. I have it butted up to it right now cause it doesn't seem to either go into or around the tube. The spring in the back holds it tight but can't be sure when I get going. I'm having a bogg problem when I get past 1st and am trying to work this gremlin before the snow meeeeelts !

Thanks for any help, finntwin

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
As to the bogging problem.... While it could be due to excessive air getting through an improper seal in the air box, (lack of restriction)... I should think that would also show in first gear or vary by the throttle opening, and not just be dependant on which gear you are in......What are your compression readings, and have you cleaned/adjusted the carb?.....Did you reset/adjust the valves?....

·
Registered
59 Posts
finn,

It looks very similar to what I've been dealing with recently (well, from the blown out iso view) on my filter box. The rear-facing end of the filter has a sprung lever on it? And the front-facing end has a raised lip, approximately 3/8"? It's a very tight fit on my unit (CM250C), but it does ultimately fit inside the connector tube that goes between the filter box and the carb. Keep pushing, it will go assuming you have the connector tube seated (slot around the circumference of the tube, yes?) evenly inside the hole of the filter box. Mine took repeated tries, but you'll get it. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oops, I realized after I replied I'm not a 200T guy... am I disqualified? Oh, the shame.

*vanishes quietly, like a ninja pig*

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Thanks Rooter,
I didn't quite "get" what Finntwin was looking for until you also answered....While the 200's are set a bit lean from the factory, and thus somewhat dependant on the airbox restricting the incoming air volume, I could not "picture" how one could not seat the air filter correctly and still get it mounted into the box......(Old age is getting to me I guess)....
Finntwin....I still think that bogging dependant on which gear the trans is in (engine rev speed vs power output) is more likely a different issue.....So, back to basics....
Is your bike a point type or an electronic ignition?
What are the compression readings?
What adjustments have you made to the engine and carb?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
As to the bogging problem.... While it could be due to excessive air getting through an improper seal in the air box, (lack of restriction)... I should think that would also show in first gear or vary by the throttle opening, and not just be dependant on which gear you are in......What are your compression readings, and have you cleaned/adjusted the carb?.....Did you reset/adjust the valves?....
66Sprint- I have not done a compression test but it is going to be checked. The carb has been cleaned with a new carb kit installed... and no, I have not done the valves yet. The bogg is noticed more when I went to 2nd Boy, I'm going to have to jump with you guys, great to hold me to the tasks, thanks. Did kinda think it might be other reasons to consider but just wanted to start with simple and go up.

Cheer, finntwin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rooter said:
finn,

It looks very similar to what I've been dealing with recently (well, from the blown out iso view) on my filter box. The rear-facing end of the filter has a sprung lever on it? And the front-facing end has a raised lip, approximately 3/8"? It's a very tight fit on my unit (CM250C), but it does ultimately fit inside the connector tube that goes between the filter box and the carb. Keep pushing, it will go assuming you have the connector tube seated (slot around the circumference of the tube, yes?) evenly inside the hole of the filter box. Mine took repeated tries, but you'll get it. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oops, I realized after I replied I'm not a 200T guy... am I disqualified? Oh, the shame.

*vanishes quietly, like a ninja pig*
EVERYBODY is a 200t guy. No shame here at all. I will go back and see if more force will push it in the connector tube. I have so much to learn ! Great to receive the wisdom.

finntwin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
66Sprint said:
Thanks Rooter,
I didn't quite "get" what Finntwin was looking for until you also answered....While the 200's are set a bit lean from the factory, and thus somewhat dependant on the airbox restricting the incoming air volume, I could not "picture" how one could not seat the air filter correctly and still get it mounted into the box......(Old age is getting to me I guess)....
Finntwin....I still think that bogging dependant on which gear the trans is in (engine rev speed vs power output) is more likely a different issue.....So, back to basics....
Is your bike a point type or an electronic ignition?
What are the compression readings?
What adjustments have you made to the engine and carb?
66Sprint,

I've got an 81, 12v with electronic ignition. no compression numbers yet with nadda adjustments. I was really hoping the engine was not going to need much. I will get to it. Did I mention I don't have a garage ?

finntwin

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
finntwin... I have two shops and a bike junkyard... But still do lots of building/fitting in my kitchen..... NO EXCUSES just cause it's cold out there..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
66Sprint said:
finntwin... I have two shops and a bike junkyard... But still do lots of building/fitting in my kitchen..... NO EXCUSES just cause it's cold out there..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lucky Man !! I have along way to go before I have the set-up I'm looking for. We aren't in the " permanent " house yet but are looking. The wife knows my list, small yard, garage ! A local scrap metal yard has opened tho'. I'm in with the owner so.... he gives me a call when a bike gets turned in. Nothing good enough to haul away yet.

On the kitchen space, battles have raged about WHAT can get hauled into the house. For some strange reason, pedal projects get tolerated but motorbike..... no way !

I can take parts to the plant garage/ maint. depts after work for some tinker-cleaning.

finntwin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts