Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FOR SALE: Classic 1972 (2015) Honda CB350. $4000. NORTH GARDEN, VA 22959.
(Full array of pics on Craig's List, here: Classic 1972 (2015) Honda CB350. My avatar/icon here is the same bike.))

WHOA $4000! THAT'S EXPENSIVE...
No. It's not. It's a bargain, because you're saving $3000. That's the money I invested in the bike that you will NOT HAVE TO SPEND. (Chances are you be doing the work I've done sooner than later on a cheaper machine.) Just read about all that's been done. As one collector told me, 'It's going to be real hard to find a better one. Real hard.'

WHAT'S RIGHT?
Besides being one of the rare & true classic collectables (some say this is the bike that got America motorcycling), the CB350 is a great ride. Favored for short & light riders (I'm 5'7' and 135 lbs) it's the perfect learning machine. I'm 68 and hadn't ridden in more than 40 years. I put 7,000+ miles on this bike. And loved every one. It's the 'Goldilocks' of motorcycles: Not too small. Not too big. For many folks, it's 'Just right'.

This is NOT a garage queen. Weather permitting, I rode between 25 and 80 miles every day that I could. I live in Thomas Jefferson's Virginia, and I dare-to-say we've got the greatest array of twisty-turney country roads in America. The weight-to-power of the Honda CB350 and it's solid agility made doing that a constant joy. The bike's sweet-spot is between 45 and 60, straight up or leaning in. The gearbox is pretty forgiving. The drum brakes can be a draw-back. They slow better than stop. So, although you won't be flying over the handle bars, alert awareness of all surrounding conditions is required.

The old speedo (pictured) shows 17,555 actual miles and the NOS one we replaced it with is at 732. So, total real milage is 18,287.

WORK PERFORMED:
This CB 350 was rebuilt and maintained by Jeremy Christian of Top Dead Center Restorations. Jeremy is a master mechanic. He rebuilt the engine, vapor blasted the cases, had all the gaskets and oil seals replaced. He replaced a new cam chain-- a Tsubaki heavy duty one, installed new piston and rings, flex honed the cylinders and decarbonized the valves and re-lapped the seats. He put in a high output charging system with a new stator and regulator/rectifier, new points and condensers. The side cases have been polished, the carb slide diaphragms replaced, carb gaskets replaced and new OEM air filters installed. A new halogen headlight's been installed. Swingarm bushings replaced. The seat was recovered with all new foam and a gel insert was added. Jeremy replaced various electrical connectors and installed a NOS speedometer. The drive chain's been replaced, the front sprocket replaced, and new mufflers with added baffles (it's still a tad throatie) were installed... A myriad of fixes and adjusts are here, there and everywhere: Grips, battery, tires are nearly new, Euro bars (2" lower and 2" less wide than stock). Like that. In all, $3000+ invested. As said, that's money you WON'T have to spend.

WHAT'S WRONG?
(I've pictured most all of these for you.) Remember, it's a 40+ year old bike, so it's got it's dings, discolors and imperfections. They're minimal, and they're there. The gas tank has two areas of scaring-scratches that were there when I bought it. The bike was tipped over in my garage twice (Arrrggghhh), resulting in a slightly bent clutch lever tip (which I actually like better) and the right-side rear brake lever is bent inwards and up a tad. Cannot bend those back, so it needs a replacement if you care. (I didn't.) The rear light housing is rusted (the insides were more important, so we took what we could get) and we'd planned to blast it and paint it black (haven't found a proper chrome one). Sooner than later, the gas tank should be de-rusted and sealed. We had to remove the center stand to accommodate the new pipes. The bike is 44 years old, which means it requires care. Always. If you're fussy, then you'll care more.

NOTE: The 7,000 to 8,000 miles I put on this bike have ALL been with non-ethanol 93 octane premium gas. I recommend it. And, the trickle-charger is yours free.

WHY SELL IT?
I've only got space in my life for one motorcycle. I've got a 72' CB450 now that Jeremy and I are re-doing. I was saving the 350 for my wife, but that's not going to happen. (Sadly.) So... I bought this motorcycle in 2015 for $3600 (with shipping) and as said, put $3000++ into it that you don't have to. All the 'heavy-lifting' has been done, so there should be at least 20,000 more miles of good-to-go before anything important needs doing again. I'm not pressured to sell it. My price is firm. The first $4000 gets it. AND, I would dearly love the bike to go to someone who'll love it! I did and do. It's a joy.

Honest answers to all questions. You're welcome to call, but please text me first. 434.960.9303.

Thanks for your interest. God Bless-- John

PSs. New York title. Clean. You'll need a valid MC license, insurance to test ride and I'll hold the money for you. Cash in hand or cleared in the bank required. Happy to arrange shipping with you (I know a great guy who's inexpensive). Thx.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
He paid someone to do the work, of course he sunk $3k into it.

If it was a complete NOS restoration, that price would be in the ballpark. If the whole bike was NOS, still in the crate, it would be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your desire for honesty & integrity outobie, and the pics alone on the links you posted don't show 'comparable condition,' much less describe the work done. I'll stand behind my claim of 'bargain' and money my buyer will not have to spend.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
I restore and sell these bikes every year and live in the same general part of the country as you.

I hope you get what you are asking because it will mean that the market is going up a lot which will benefit me as well.

that said; your bike is likely to bring $2,500 to $2,800. buyers don't care what you spent and many are actually suspect of work done and offer less because of it.

From viewing the pictures; some things that could cause a buyer to question the price/work done are:

- Brake pedal too close to foot peg bracket indicating something is bent ...from a crash?..what else is bent?
- mufflers droop in the back at an odd angle and not level with the headers, caused by using the OEM muffler hanger only attached from one mounting point rather than making a bracket that fit the muffler
- lumpy foam on the sides of the seat
- for that price a fresh paint job should be expected on the tank
- for that price all chrome should be perfect
- for that price there shouldn't be any bent levers
- headlight ears bent

By comparison a brand new Honda cb300f costs $3,999

I hope you prove me wrong.
let us know what you get for it.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I checked with Charlie at Charlies place about doing a restoration on my CB450K6, $7000-$12,000. I know it would be in showroom condition but I would never get anything close to that for it. If I do have it restored professionally, it will be because I want to ride it and pass it on to my family, not to sell it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thats a hefty price, as stated above. Good luck to you with it. I'm sure everyone here hopes you get what you want, because it will help bring up the value of others. Have done 2 450's, a cb and a cl, neither of them hit $4000, close but not there. Again, I do wish you good luck with it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To the seller: Your sales pitch makes it sound like everyone on this forum is new to these old Hondas. Try to be less condescending and recognize that the majority of us here are well aware of the value of our bikes. Furthermore, the majority of us have rebuilt or are rebuilding our own bikes. This forum community knows how much and how rare every little spring, bearing, bolt etc. costs. Still, the consensus is going to be something along the lines of "Most of that 3000 is in labor costs/finders fees".

Nevertheless, it matters little if you had rebuilt an old Ford model T or a cb350. The unfortunate rule is, and the majority of us here know this, you will not get back what you invested into it. These bikes are rare, but probably not $4000 rare. Maybe some hipster in NYC East Village would shell out that amount for it?

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
To me, it sounds like a flip that went wrong "I live in Thomas Jefferson's Virginia "........."PSs. New York title. Clean." Whose name is actually on the title and who does the state of NY think the owner is?

...........Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts