Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:oops: So I've just resently found this site and am I glad that I did.
I've gone though all the posts and I hope I didn't miss one that had this question in it alreadly, but heres goes.
I've gotten a hold of a 1970 SL 175. It didn't run very well when I got it so I'v desided to tear it down.
It appeared that the stator side piston at one time had tried to seize up as their are marks on the intake side of the piston and cylinder wall, but even with that I figured no problem.
Put it in the gunk tank to clean it up good and saw what appeared to be discoloration from an overheating condition. I didn't think much of it untill I was pushing on the cylinder sleeve and it started to come out of the bore. In fact both of the sleeves will do this.
I guess my question is if this is something that will commonly happen if they have an overheating condition and can I just get a new sleeve for it( if I can find them that is ) or do I have to get a whole new cylinder block for it.
All answers are deeply appreciated.
Thank You
never2old4fun

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Sleeves will come out, some more easily than others. Most of the time you have to heat them in an oven a bit, then they fall right out.
But I've seen them loose like that.
Just bore them oversize, if they're not cracked or anything.....
Or if you're uncomfortable with it, just get a used cylinder assembly.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Looks like you missed editing part of your profile.. Bike models help us all help you so please list what you've got or what you're working on..

Toledo is a small town of around 1500 people in central Illinois. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo,_Illinois

GB :mrgreen:
OK,
So at this point the 175's I'm working on are 70's & 71's SL's. One for each of my daughters and one for me.
But you did ask about what bikes I'm working or what have.
Though they aren't mine, I have a very good friend that races AHMRA, by the way he's been the a holder of the #1 plate in his class for 14 years, I help with welding or fabing things up and general maintenace of his race bikes.
Another friend of mine has a 71 BSA Thunderbolt that he's starting to restore and I'm helping with that.
As for the bike I ride for fun, I call it the beast, not because its so fast, but because of the way it can make you do things when you really should know better.
It's a 07 KTM 950 SMR, at 55 years old I should know better then to have something like this :lol: .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts