Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CL350 which has a funky issue. When I got the bike, the foot pegs seemed a little crooked, and not symetrical right and left. With some heat, I straightened them nicely but they seemed too far forward so that I have trouble getting a boot between the left peg and shifter. With a tennis shoe, it is barely okay. So I got another foot peg assembly, and it fits better but my question is this - do you guys rest your feet angled outside of the shifter and brake, or under them? If I were to adjust things so my right foot is under the brake I would have to really work to get it to the top to use the brake. That's why I have always just sort of hung my foot out at an angle. And the left side, I would have to adjust the shifter way up to ride with my foot underneath it. Since now is the time to do some tweaking with this new set, I would just like to know what to aim for. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I believe my feet rest so that they need to move forward to brake or shift... Not to the side or under. I wear size 10/10.5

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also wear 10/10.5 as well. Do you maybe ride more with your toes on the pegs? Or where the heel of the shoe meets the peg? I ride with the foot slid forward until the heel stops on the peg.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Perhaps that's it. I'm between the heel and ball of my foot. Found the vibration to be less in that position. Otherwise my left leg falls asleep after about 10 highway miles.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to try riding more on the balls of my feet instead of the arches. Sounds totally unnatural to me but maybe worth a try. Even then, I don't think I have enough room to slide forward and get under the shifter with a boot the way it's set up now. Will have to try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried it today and hated it. I like riding on my arches with the heel of the shoe slid up against the peg. Guess I will do some heating, cutting or welding to get the pegs positioned where I like.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
You should be able to adjust both the shift lever and the brake pedal to accomodate your feet in a comfortable position on a CL350. I ride mine with my feet positioned the way you describe -- front edge of boot heels slid forward against the pegs. I would certainly focus on adjusting the mechanical controls as opposed to heating and bending fhe pegs, unless the pegs are seriously deformed to begin with.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The whole 350 shift linkage-thing is BS and not made for big feets.......
Find a longer 450 type that bolts right on to the shift shaft, it will work mo' betta.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Surgery Time

OP here: I bought a good used foot peg assembly to do some experimenting on. I decided to section out a piece so that I could move the peg back about an inch and out about an inch. So that I could blend the reinforcement plate that Honda put on, it required cutting the bar, rotating it and positioning it with temporary straps. This meant that the angle of the U shaped piece that the peg rides in would be wrong, so I cut it off and will locate it back at the right angle. Once the shifter side is complete I will work on the brake side. Oh, the reason I am moving the peg out an inch is that on the CL, Honda tucked the left peg in closer than was on the CB, since the CB had a low pipe to go around. If you ever look straight down on a CL you will see the right peg sticks out further than the left by an inch. I confirmed this when I installed the good used set - exactly same as the original. Also a buddy of mine has a CB which is symetrical left to right and it has about an inch more clearance outboard of the shifter linkage. Good thing I have lots of vice grips. Tomorrow I will bolt this monstrosity up to see how it positions and will post more pictures.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts