Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some interesting experiences with my bike. Keeping two keihin carbs is sort of like trying to please two women at once!

Compressions is about 180 in both cylinders. Valves, points, and timing adjusted. Carbs rebuilt (using K&L kits). Carbs synched. Annnnnnnd idle sits at about 2k-3k. :(

Bike runs like monkey snot. In 1-3 gears, pucker factor is high when I roll on the throttle. Gets up to 50 mph in 3rd with no problem. No complaints about power and high-end rpm work.

But why can't I get it to idle lower? I noticed that if I tap on the left carb throttle, idle will drop from 3k to 1.5k. Should I replace the return spring?

Also, the K&L carb kit gaskets for the bowl seem not to be doing their job. :( I am getting seepage.

Any advice?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Make sure you have a bit of slack in the throttle cables (all 3)
Don't know what to say about the seepages.... (Hylomar maybe?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually there should only be 2 throttle cables on a 70 cl350. they split from one to two unfer the fuel tank. look at the throttle arms with the bike not running and make sure they are all the way down resting on the base of the carb. You also might have a sticking spark advance behind the points plate. knocking the carb might just be putting a small bubble in the jet. You shoud actually hit 50 in 2nd gear, so the bike will pull alot harder once you get this problem figured out.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Uhhhhh....Top cable (to splitter from throttle)=#1
One to each of two carbs (from the splitter) = #2 & #3
ALL THREE must have a tad of slack.....
(You count funny Doug)....... :lol: Steve

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
If you're getting seepage from the carb, have you checked the float height? Also, the shutoff needle and seat to make sure the fuel is being shut off? This could also be adding to the idle issues since it would be running rich. On my old KZ the shutoff needle had a groove worn into it that was preventing it from sealing correctly and thus caused the fuel level to be too high.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy crap. I feel like such an idiot. [ head banging smiley ] The throttle linkage on the left carb was sticking because I didn't lube it after cleaning the carbs. I sprayed it with lube and took it for a spin and it would sit at 1.5k at the stop light. :cool:

I will check float height again. Float needles and seats are new and seal well--can't blow air through them at all. It's not leaking out the overflow vent, either--just a thin film of fuel leaking out at the seam in a couple spots. I would think that the rubber gaskets would be there specifically to guard against this problem. I will see if I can find something a bit thicker. I was worried that Hylomar or any other material might get loose into the bowl and clog things up.

Spark advancer is my next job. . . .

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Thin film of gas-proof sealant on the gaskets?....A scosche (evenly) tighter on the bowl bolts? (torque warping?).....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts