Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding last night and brought the bike up to nearly 10K in 3rd gear and the bike sort of bogged out, started humming, stopped pulling, if that makes any sense. Would this be caused by floating the valves or something to do with the points? If so, is there a remedy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
KilgoreTrout said:
If so, is there a remedy?

Thanks!
Yeah, don't ride around at 10K...

Max torque on an SL is at 8K.
I suspect max hp is somewhere in the same area.

Anyway, I think redline on an SL is 9K...

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
All my bikes are redlined at around 9500 RPM I think. I thought redline meant that you wanted to keep it below that number. I usually play it safe and stay at around 7000 at the most.
Still with a big smile on my face.
I just cant bring myself to take any of my engines up that high. :roll:
Don

·
Registered
785 Posts
10K rpm is too much and you were floating the valves.
It is a 350 with an 8500rpm redline you are riding, not a 600RR that redlines @ 16000rpm

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be certain...Are you guys saying NOT to ride it at 10k? j/k :D

I was going off the redline indicator on the tach, I guess I thought that, that was where the actual redline was. My tach says 10500 as redline. Good to know it's much lower.

Why would they put the indicator there:???

·
Registered
45 Posts
My tach redlines at 10,500 to and its a 71 cb350. Somebody told me a while back that they made the 350's that year with hot cams or something which allowed them to reach up to higher rpm's so they made the tach that way, I personnally think thats BS but could anybody confirm this for me/us?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't know about the 350 specifically but my '73 CB360 redlined at 9300 rpm or so...

My '71 SL175 redlined at 10,500 rpm though. Could it be possible that someone replaced the tachometer at some point in time?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
The early '68 and (I think) '69's had a redline of 10,500 but after that it was lowered to something in the mid 9k's

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got 2 1970 CB350's and both redline out at 10,500... My buddy has the 1971 Cb350 and his goes to 9500.. The 68-70's motors have the "fat cam" or "hot cam" which rev out at 10,500.. I've had mine up to 10k once and had a little float but nothing like the top end was going to explode. My torque range imho is from 5k-9k... Hope it helps...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
My bike has a '69 chassis and a '70 engine, so disappointed when it wouldn't redline! She tops out just fast enough for the freeway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts