Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hunting for the float height of my 1972 CL175.

The older manual appears to reference the sloped engines so I imagine the measurement might be different? I see that the CB175 is listed at 19.5mm and the CL175 is listed at 28mm which seems pretty deep.

Do any of you have the proper measurement? These carbs are clean and have some sort of factory or aftermarket rebuild kits installed. I'm flowing gas out of the tops of the bowls as well as the overflows.

The bike starts easily and runs, but not well. I'm just working down the laundry list of things to adjust before taking it on the road.

Thanks!
-Luke

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Re: 1972 CL175 K6 (vertical engine)

Yes...21mm

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am in the middle of going through it.

It still makes the crazy clattering noise when running obviously, but it now runs and supports itself. I was getting a bunch of white smoke out the pipe. However, the bike now features TWO hot exhaust pipes.. It was only running on one cylinder prior to this.

I need to set valve clearance, set the points, clean the points, and figure out some baseline settings on the idle circuit screw setting. I also need to pull the plungers out of the top of the carbs to make sure they're facing the right direction as well as see where the needles are set.

I have a feeling at 1 3/4 turns out, I have the idle circuits out of whack. I couldn't find a spec listed as a starting point for the air screw setting.

I don't have a clutch cable yet, so I can't actually ride the bike around. That'll help me track down RPM and power based carb settings more quickly.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Just need to ask....CB/CL 175's pilot screw (mixture screw) is standard at 7/8 turn out + or - 1/8 ....(3/4 to 1 turn)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been messing about with the needle/seat/float heights on my 1971 cl175. I had bought an aftermarket rebuild kit and replaced the original needle/seat and at first never even bothered to set the float height due to inexperience. After talking with Steve (66Sprint) from this forum, I took the carbs back off and set the float heights to the required 21mm. I then could not start the bike or it would only run for a second, not enough fuel flow. (oops, tried running the bike with no oil in it, glad it didn't start). After another talk with Steve we figured that the stock needle/seat must be to a different spec than the original so I would have to do trial/error and see if I could find a setting that worked. My next attempt, with the carbs still on the bike but the bowls removed was another failure, fuel leaking out of both bowls. So, I took the carbs off again, getting faster at this process by now, and went through the original sticky gummy needle/seat and cleaned them all up with compressed air and solvent. I've put them back and tomorrow I will try and set the float heights again. I am going to make some gaskets per Steve's suggestion as well. Should I buy gasket making material or is there something around the house that will work well? I will post results after tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Make some float chamber gaskets ??

Good luck with that. I reckon you'll be very skilful if you manage to get them leak free.

OEM Honda gaskets appear to be made from some sort of thin synthetic rubber (Viton?) material, and would be my recommendation. David Silver has them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts