Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry for yet another Carburetor question,
I have a Honda CJ360T and i was looking at setting the floats using the clear tube method as i am having a few issues trying to do it by sitting the carb at an angle and setting it that way.

So with the clear tube method, where should i be looking at getting the fuel height to line up with?
So i be looking to get the fuel height at the height of the gasket on the float bowl or is there a measurement that i should be aiming for above or below the gasket on the float bowl?
I find i can work with this method a lot easier.

I hope that question makes sense.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yes, utilising the float bowl overflow/drain screw system works, if its that type.

Some carb info gives a fuel hieght relative to the float bowl carb sealing face.

I set float hieght as accurately as possible, assemble carbs and clamp via home made bracket so carbs sit level in X and y axis, in a vice.

The bracket is fastened to the carbs and the bracket clamped in the vice. A fuel supply system is set up as well as clear pipe to the overflow/drain stubs.

With fuel in system and drain screws open say one turn, fuel level self levels via float needle valves.

Any difference is easily seen, so you know which carb has more, or less fuel level. Adjust as necessary.

Fuel level is usually a few mm from the reference point, the carbs sealing face.

The fuel hieght is almost always below the sealing face so no chance of leakage, and carb flooding.

Flooding can end up with fuel inside the cylinders, washing them and contaminating engine oil, AND a haudralic lock which will damage stuff, like causing the starter motor "freewheel" clutch outer casing to crack. !! Expensive repair.

Whilst carbs are in the vice via the bracket, I use the ball bearing bench method of initial carb butterfly balancing, but it helps if the carbs lean back a bit so the balls will roll past the butterflies and drop out, simultaneously.

DONT use the ball balancing method if the carbs are on the bike else the balls will end up inside the cylinders !!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts