Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has tried to flip the headlight brackets over in order to lower the headlight on CM's? Looks like it could be done pretty easily but maybe I'm delusional.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't, but you'd certainly have to modify them to fit. Originally the bottoms are flared to fit around the lower triple clamps, those flares won't fit around the top triple clamps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed the cutouts on it. I'll give it a shot when I get the time and report back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you wanted to have a cleaner look you could find a smooth bore tubing that would slide over your fork tubes between the triple tree brackets then weld on any configuration bracket you want to the outside of the tubes- whatever you can think up, sky's the limit.
for example, if your fork tube diameter is 33mm (1.2992") and you want a 10 thousanths slip fit on the outer tubes, a good choice would be 1.5" O.D. x .095 wall (3/32") x 1.310" I.D. = 10.8 thousanths slip fit on your fork tubes.

some examples of this

cold roll steel DOM steel tubing https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7562&step=4&showunits=inches&id=283&top_cat=197

stainless steel tubing (big $$) https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=14886&step=4&showunits=inches&id=902&top_cat=1

if you have access to a TIG welder you can use aluminum tubing and make your brackets from Aluminum.

drawn aluminum tubing https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=21760&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Yeah, honestly, if it's not easy to flip those stock brackets, there are a lot of options of aftermarket parts. If I had the time and the machine ability, I'd love to create it, though.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
If you go with the sleeves Paul suggests then be sure to grease the inside of the tube with a waterproof grease to stop corrosion and allow then to be more easily removed a few years from now

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you go with the sleeves Paul suggests then be sure to grease the inside of the tube with a waterproof grease to stop corrosion and allow then to be more easily removed a few years from now
I wish I could quickly post a "thumbs up" to posts... or a like. Anyway, thumbs up!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Great idea Jim! in addition, the sleeves could be cut slightly shorter and an O ring placed top and bottom to seal moisture out.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Years ago I made a pair of fork ears that I'll be using on my 250 Nighthawk project, here are a few photos i was able to find:

Custom grommets turned down from new hockey pucks.

Aluminum tubes cut down from spent photocopier pressure rollers.

The fit on the bike.

and a wider shot.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I would cut them a tad shorter than the distance between the upper and lower, enough to fit a compressed O-ring. That will allow some movement in the upper triple when adjusting the stem bearing pre-load, there's not a lot of travel when doing that so maybe 1mm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts