Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
I like it. Don't love the paint but a minor quibble.

Edit; I think the white background and the white of the tank is what looks off on the paint. It looks better in the link.

·
Administrator
13,050 Posts
Actually, I think the paint scheme is creative... even goes pretty well with the tail section that I'm not overly enthused about, but is at least more subtle than a cafe bump. I could see that big old beast getting seriously sideways on a clay short track, it would have the torque to do it

·
Administrator
13,050 Posts
To really be a true flat track-styled replica, it should have a 2-1 exhaust exiting the right side for the continuous left turns... and an elevated left footpeg, which wouldn't be practical for street tracker use :D (leave the steel shoe at home, or try to impress people at gas stations if you wear it out)

·
Administrator
13,050 Posts
Not a big fan of speed holes either Perry - most overdo it. I've always wondered about the ceramic white myself... my silver ceramic coating is still like it was over a year ago when it was done, but then they're straight pipes too so no heat accumulation in them like a muffler would have

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I like it. If it were mine I'd change the exhausts and give it some 19" shouldered alloy rims with iddy biddy disc brakes. That being said, I never liked how the 450 power slid in the dirt. My sr250 was way more easy doing donuts and such. You can almost tell by looking. 450 doesn't look right. Idk, maybe shorter shocks would help.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To really be a true flat track-styled replica, it should have a 2-1 exhaust exiting the right side for the continuous left turns...
I like it. If it were mine I'd change the exhausts and give it some 19" shouldered alloy rims with iddy biddy disc brakes
The one thing I didn't really like about it was the exhaust - both the colour and routing.

Came across this in an old bike mag I had - I know its a Triumph, but the exhaust design is much better looking methinks:

(Even has your kind of brakes Lefty :) )

·
Registered
757 Posts
Beautiful bike! I love it and while it's "tracker" styled, it'd hardly be mistaken for a flat track bike. ;)

I don't mean to take anything away from this great bike but other than some number decals, no front fender and a FT style tail... That said, the tail is GREAT! I'd be interested in that seat myself. Any info???

As "street trackers" go, this is a VERY nice example. It's too often overlooked that the more important word in the name is "street." Street tracker being almost an oxymoron, but then I've seen a whole lotta totally inappropriate bikes on the track to. :grin:

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
^^^yes! Put those wheels and pipes on and I'd love it. But they probably came it $1000 over budget. Oh yeah, some big k&n filters too. I have seen 450 flat trackers with different frames. But yeah, street tracker, I get it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
^^^yes! Put those wheels and pipes on and I'd love it. But they probably came it $1000 over budget. Oh yeah, some big k&n filters too. I have seen 450 flat trackers with different frames. But yeah, street tracker, I get it.
It's a very nice bike. I really, really like it, but the styling is essentially superficial (though I have no idea what's inside!). It is almost a stock (style) bike with a different seat, some cool pipes, no fender and a whole lot of speed holes. I'm not complaining!!!! Did I mention... I really like it? This is what a street tracker should be. A STREET BIKE with some superficial styling that changes little more than appearance. Function - safe lighting, brakes, tires and a comfortable riding position are what's important in a street bike. Compromise on those things and it'll hurt you. ;)

A tracker changes ALL those things and much, much more - usually. By the same token, you can remove or tape up the lights and race your stock street bike and be okay. Probably won't win much, but you'll be okay. :grin:

My own #1 rule in modifying a street bike is the question, is it functional? Safety equipment is not to be compromised! A riding position you're comfortable in for more than 20 miles. Tires appropriate for your riding conditions. Just about anything else is open to your sense of creativity style! :cool: The bike meets that criteria and then some.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like Trackers are Ok with the Hondatwins massive :)

I've started planning a few mods to the aesthetics on my little 450 mongrel. The thing I dislike most about my own bike is the seat. I'm not too worried about originality as the bike is already a bit of a hybrid, so my conscience is clear.

Looking at those two bikes above, I think there's plenty of scope for a relatively easy step by step rolling modification programme to build a tracker like this above - seat / higher bars / mudguards(fenders) / pipe(s). Do it right and it should look ok at each stage, and also be fully reversible.

Still torn between the 'mild cafe' look (below - but w/o the ace bars) and the one of those trackers above:

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you're after a true tracker feel/look, consider wider bars rather than higher. ;)

Are you familiar with flat track racing? If not, PLEASE check out a few videos
I know it's hard but try to pay attention to the way they ride. It's all about traction control on a surface that opposes both traction and control. ;)

It's a lot more physical than it looks! That's where the wide bars come in - leverage.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think that 450 is Pretty "Bad" looking myself. There might be a thing or 2, that I would have done different, But, it isn't mine and as long as it suites the builder, that's what matters. I well imagine that 450, kicking sideways, like Tom was saying. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts