Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my right cylinder wasn't firing at all but after some help from the Members it turned out to be incorrect float adjustment. However I have been unable to get it working 100%. the left carby is fine . The right carby has a flat spot . I have the float set corretly. have put a carby kit thought it including needle and seat (valve) It is in the first part of the accelaration . reaching down and holding accelerator at idle screw ,the miss (flat spot)is in the first 1or 2 mm off lifting the accelerator .It work fine past that point but noticeable when riding
I Should add that this bike sat for 25 years.. Do I need to soak the whole carburetor in some sort of solution .thanks

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
This sounds like the transition port is clogged, especially if it is idling OK. That port is #13 in this diagram:
carb_schem.jpg

It could be a restriction in the pilot jet PJ, slow jet SJ, or in the slow air jet SAJ, too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Rick don't think it is the carby .Have double checked everything .It is so weird ,when you helped me adjust float previously the miss went away . I made the float adjustment tool and checked against correct float on left cylinder. So both floats are right . I will check timing again thanks for your help. Kanga

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Rick if you are reading this . I have been trying to figure out my problem .Just wondering could a worn needle valve be causing my problem . I noticed the carby that is bogging down have a very worn and Flat point that contacts the float .. could be worn at other end. think I will pull carbs again and swap valves and seats over ... what do you think ?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Well, it could be the float pin is worn, and letting the carb start to drain down. Easy to check, just slide the pin that holds the float on, and catch the pin as it falls out. If there is a visible ring worn into the tapered end, it needs replacing. A flat spot could be caused by this, but it would take a bit to recover, as the bowl filled again.

From your description, it goes a bit lean as you begin opening the throttle, then recovers with more throttle. This would more likely be a poor mixture during the transition from the idle port to the needle jet, handled by the transition port I mentioned above, but could be the main jet taking up the slack, even though the fuel level is a bit low.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Rick I changed needle and seat and cleaned the carby and used copper wire to make sure no blockages. I have now moved onto timing . On the right points there is very erratic spark (very strong ) compared to left points . I have replaced condenser and both sets of points Any idea what this coukd be ? I removed advance mechanism and the springs seem to be weak . I am going to start a new tread thank you for all your help

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
On the right points there is very erratic spark (very strong ) compared to left points . I have replaced condenser and both sets of points Any idea what this coukd be ? I removed advance mechanism and the springs seem to be weak . I am going to start a new tread thank you for all your help
I assume you mean the points themselves are arcing, not that the spark plug is getting an erratic spark? The condenser is responsible for suppressing spark at the points, but if the grounding of the shell is poor, or the wiring between the condenser and coil has a high resistance, it can't help. Since you said 'condenser', not 'condensers', I'm guessing you are using the stock dual condenser? If so, grounding of the condenser shell is not likely the cause (I'd clean it anyway). Make sure the bullets and sockets are clean and tight at the connections, and the wires don't feel like they are about to break. Also, NOS condensers can be bad from the start, so it always pays to have a few spares, just because.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts