Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I found my off-season project.

I bought an '81 CM400T in very nice shape except for the tachometer. It works fine, but the two screws holding the dial face inside the housing came loose and now the face is floating around in there loosely. I found a couple of articles explaining how to possible open up the housing to re-attach the screws, and while it looks to be a bit of a pita, it looks doable. Optionally, I could keep my eyes open for a salvage tach, but either way it means removing this one. BUT...could it be that the only way to remove the tach is to remove the headlight, which apparently also means removing the turn signals?

Has anyone here done something like this and it it going to be as much of a pain as it seems like it's going to be? Any words of wisdom before I attempt such an endeavor?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2722.JPG

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
There's 2 chrome acorn nuts holding it to bracket. Depending on your hand/finger size and co-ordination you may be able to sneak them out to remove the tach. Otherwise yeah, remove the headlight

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's so much finger size and coordination or dexterity. The problem seems to be that the acorn nuts are pretty much resting on the headlight housing, so there's no real room to back them off.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
It wont be that bad to remove turn signals and headlight bucket. Just take photos and notes before each step so you can put it back correctly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, yes...photos and notes. Good idea. I usually remember that after I've already removed everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts