Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Do a search on speedo / tach repair refurbish. I rhink I recently discovered one with "replacing faceplates"..,it is a bit involved as the guage needs to be braced and the beauty ring needs to be VERY CAREFULLY removed from the back...
But look at it this way...,it's already broke.. just don't get in a rush, give it a shot.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
His looks like the older plastic outer cover that has a melted-over edge IIRC... my Dad and I did a few of those long ago before the metal outer with ring came along. Can't remember how we got them apart without damage but I know it's doable

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If it's just the cable attachment point you may not need to disassemble any further. The cable attachment part is what broke loose on the tach of my former CM400C. I went overboard on disassembly and probably could have gotten away with much less.

I was able to wiggle the cable attachment back into place, after cleaning, scuffing and recleaning the surrounding area I applied a layer of JB-Weld to hold it in place and set it aside for a few days to cure. Then I applied a generous second layer of JB-Weld and bolted the gauge cup back in place which squished the new JB layer slightly. I set it aside a few more days and it was rock solid after that.

*Be sure to spin the tach with a toothpick or something (by hand not with a drill, you want to hear if there is a mis-alignment making unpleasant sounds) to ensure the magnet wheel isn't contacting the bell-shaped bit inside the tach before your first application of JB cures, you may have to tweak the angle of the cable attachment if you hear any unpleasant sounds when spinning the tach.

I hope this works in your situation.
Alan

·
Registered
729 Posts
They are "repairable" within reason, they are very delicate inside. If you have a broken speedo/teacho cable, use the square end and insert into the square hole for drive, finger and thumb drive is ok and remember which way to rotate, the same way as the needle goes.

Take your time and you will have success.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
The whirring noise is likely due to the cable attachment part coming detached from the frame it should be solidly attached to. This causes the magnet wheel inside to misalign and rub against the inside of the bell shaped half of the magnetic coupling that raises the needle as rpms rise.

Remove your tach from the bike then remove the bottom gauge cup to expose the entirety of the cable attachment part, if it wiggles separately from the rest of your tach, work it back into its correct position and add JB weld as I suggested earlier. Spin the tach by hand with a small screwdriver, splinter of wood, or yes the square end of a broken tach cable... And listen for that sound, if you hear it alter the angle of the cable attachment part until it goes away and your tach needle still responds to spinning the drive.

Use a mirror on your work surface so you can see the needle responding without flipping the whole thing over.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Your CM125T came with a tachometer?
Wow, honda really did screw us over here in the states by building for price point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh, I just noticed that there may be a language issue here. When we say "tacho" we mean speedometers (mine looks like this) where, apparently, you mean RPM gauges.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Thank you for clarifying that, it could have been worse as we sometimes refer a speedometer a speedo....:-?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So before I read all post I did as Alan suggested with the JB weld. However I had already taken it apart. It works great. I had to heat the plastic holding the metal housing on to remove it. Now I will have to figure out how to put back together. I have some ideas. I will post some pics when this happens. Thanks for the input.
LGR

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Nice work, I'm glad to hear it turned out well. Post up some photos of what you're working with if you'd care for more input. There are tons of adhesives that may work, and there are "plastic welding" kits out there as well.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Oh, I just noticed that there may be a language issue here. When we say "tacho" we mean speedometers (mine looks like this) where, apparently, you mean RPM gauges.

Sorry for the confusion.
Interesting. Here in the UK we have speedos and rev counters, but trucks have tachographs.

From wiki.

A tachograph is a device fitted to a vehicle that automatically records its speed and distance, together with the driver's activity selected from a choice of modes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts