Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the headers and (rotted) exhaust are one piece, so I'd have to take an angle grinder to the pipes to separate them in order to fit new mufflers. I'm thinking of the shorty mufflers, primarily because they're cheap, but I don't really understand how slip ons work in terms of installation. It can't be as easy as literally slipping them on, can it? How do they form an airtight seal with the header pipes? Is there some sort of gasket I need to buy/fab?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The shorty Emgo megaphones are a good look on a 175/200 and cheap. However, they do not fit. Mufflers come with a set of different-sized inserts to shim between the slip on muffler and header pipes, but the little Honda headers are too small. So, I went to O'Reilly auto and got a short straight piece of muffler pipe that had a flared end. The non-flare was the same size diameter as the header, so I welded it directly to the header. The flared size fit exactly into the Emgo muffler. This juncture is currently painted flat black, and looks ok so I don't think I'll do anything else with it. So now they are mounted and Extremely solid!

A pair of those Emgos flow way too much for the little Honda, so I mounted a washer inside of each muffler to give it some back pressure and a better exhaust note. I'm happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
here's jc whitney shortys on my 350 Waaaay to loud and didn't want to rev, found some muffler pipe to fit the outlets,, started out around 6" long sounded a lot better but still didn't run right cut them down a 1/2 inch at a time until it would rev I can hit red line in first 4 gears and tach needle is still climbing past 8 when I chicken out in 5th

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
175 headers are smaller than 350's (which are 1.5").
So leakage is a real issue.
On my CB200 (same as 175) I used some of the spacers that they provide, along with this stuff (just the fabric, not the chemical).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts