Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first introduced myself back in August 2017 but have yet to begin a "project build" page. It's about time I start one so that others can offer suggestions to me and hopefully learn from the mistakes (many) I've made and will likely continue to make.

I've gotten into motorcycles later in life and cut my teeth on a '76 CB750 that I completely tore apart and rebuilt a few years ago, but never ended up riding. I thought that this "motorcycle thing", as my wife likes to call it, was maybe a passing phase. However, when I saw my little beauty that I have now I couldn't resist to get back into it.

Life is crazy busy for me so work on the bike comes in fits & starts, so I don't have a ton of time to put towards documenting the entire process but would like to contribute and show a bit of what I'm doing. So it'll be mostly photos with short and to the point commentary and like the title (which might become the CL's new name:D) suggests, these entries may come in fits & starts too. Let's get to it . . .

beforeTD.jpg

This is where I stood after a few months with a bit of work. I just couldn't get it running though. What I thought was a engine issue turned out to be an electrical issue - had one coil not firing at all. Took a bit to figure it out and by the time I did it was late in the riding season and decided to tear it all down.

teardown4.jpg

teardown6.jpg

You can see how it was only firing on one cylinder.

As I tore through the engine I discovered not to judge a book by it's cover. The bike looked pretty darn sweet, but inside was a mess:

teardown1.jpg

teardown2.jpg

teardown3.jpg

Lots of metal bits and crap throughout. This was just the beginning . . .

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
IMG_0935 copy.jpg

IMG_1596 copy.jpg

IMG_1598 copy.jpg

Holes in the case made by the dowel pins being pushed through.

IMG_1538 copy.jpg

Found a wire in the clutch basket mangled up in with the clutch plates.

IMG_1582 copy.jpg

IMG_1583 copy.jpg

Rockers and lobes on the cam at pitted and in bad condition. These will be getting sent off to Delta Cam in the near future for resurfacing.
IMG_1584 copy.jpg

IMG_1585 copy.jpg

IMG_1586 copy.jpg

IMG_1620 copy.jpg

IMG_1621 copy.jpg

Discovered some dings and scuffs in the pistons. Don't know how this possibly happened!?!! I'm guessing the last person who worked on the engine was using a heavy hand when installing the cylinder head onto the piston and pushed them into the upper case hence the dents on the skirts. Can't explain the damage on the top of the pistons. The cylinder walls who no sign of damage. I've sanded them (pistons) down nice and smooth now.

IMG_1624 copy.jpg

teardown7.jpg

In pieces . . .

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
And you have the punched-out locating pins for the small ends of the trans shafts... someone didn't pay too much attention when they put this engine together previously. Both of those are repairable - if you had been able to ride it prior to tearing it down, I doubt it would have shifted very well. That thing is a bit of a mess

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And you have the punched-out locating pins for the small ends of the trans shafts... someone didn't pay too much attention when they put this engine together previously. Both of those are repairable - if you had been able to ride it prior to tearing it down, I doubt it would have shifted very well. That thing is a bit of a mess
You bet - looks can be deceiving.

The muffler, though it looked to be in great shape, did have some small holes in the back part of it. Not surprising with it's age. I do feel pretty lucky it was fairly minor as original CL mufflers seem to be hard to come by and when they do they are pretty pricey.

muff1.jpg

muff2.jpg

muff5.jpg

Most of the backside was littered with pin holes and thin metal. I decided to cut most of the back off.

muff3.jpg

Rusted out guts. I didn't know if I could fabricate anything like the original internals without taking the entire muffler apart, so a friend (who also welded it up) suggested using some stainless steel wool to pack the muffler. So that's what I did. I'm not sure how this will affect the carbs and if jetting will be required. I hope not as I plan to run the bike as close to stock as I can. Anyone with experience or thoughts on this??

mufffinal.jpg

A bit blurry but you get the idea of the finished project. I did have the bike running before I completely tore it down. It didn't sound too loud for me and seemed to work well. Time will tell.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The WTF twisted wire in the clutch is a clutch plate stopper ring. Nla from Honda, but there's a few around if you google part number 22431-259-000

..........Paul
WTF!?!?! Is that what that is? I don't know how I missed that when looking at the schematic for the clutch basket. Thanks very much for pointing that out 05c50 - I wouldn't have even thought to replace it. I have no clue how it could have gotten so mangled!

·
Registered
866 Posts
My CL mufflers had a little hole too, a welder friend cut out the bad part and put in a new piece, been great ever since. I don't think there is any packing inside of it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crash - no, no packing in there but there were baffles and some tube. Hoping the stainless steel wool with help quiet it - hope it doesn't balance/carb issues.

05c50 - spent some time looking for one today - can't seem to find one anywhere. I have a few more places to look yet. I also watched some videos of tear downs and builds where it didn't look like the retainer ring was there or put back. With the lack of availability of the part is it possible/advisable (I am guessing not) to run the clutch without it?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Not all years used the ring. I'm not going to tell you to leave it out, but I'm sure that there is at least a few (hundreds?) bikes running around without them. They pop up on ebay from time to time.

.....Paul

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Paul. I started another thread specifically about this. Glad you pointed it out to me. Cheers!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sent off the camshaft and rockers to Delta Camshaft earlier this week for resurfacing. Whoot whoot! Looking forward to getting these back.

After tear down I did the usual of cleaning parts as best I could. Sent the cases & covers for vapour blasting to a local custom builder who does amazing work.

They came back beautiful:

IMG_1689.jpg

My guy also did a lap job on the valves and performed a leak down test for me.

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

Was super happy with the result. Taking a few more parts to be done as well: carbs, fork lowers, etc. Will post up some shots when I get them back. Looking forward to clean carbs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some more glamour shots of the next round of vapour blasting done on my fork lowers and carbs:

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Before & after shot.

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

You can see the texture that vapour blasting produces - peening the metal to a beautiful finish.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks great, need mine done.

How long did that take?

And a roundabout cost?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It all depends on how busy my guy is. It took him a week to get them back to me. For the carbs and fork lowers he charged me $80.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been so busy to update any progress. I'll go back at some point and document the progression. I just wanted to update with a photo of where I am at.

IMG_2607.jpg

The tank, side covers and seat pan are all on temporary to get a feel for how it's going to look. I did the paint (rattle can) myself and built the seat tray/rear cowling from fibreglass. I'm in the process now of upholstering the seat pan. Had to learn how to sew on a machine, which I really enjoyed actually. Not quite finished with the seat, but it's almost done. The motor is all done. I just need to finish with the wiring (see my post looking for help!) and do my timing. Will try to update again in the next few days or so. Cheers Fellas!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts