Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! First timer with motorcycles. Going to buy a 1970 Honda CB450. The bike looks like it's in great condition. Talked to someone about it and he asked me all these questions I should ask the owner. What are your opinions on Honda bikes and what should I ask the owner about how he's taking care of the bike or replaced anything? Since it's a 50 yr old bike. Anything info helps!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Moved to Member Introductions, since it is and you need to.
What's our opinion of Hondas? Interesting question for a forum dedicated to vintage Honda twin-cylinder motorcycles... obviously, we like them. I find it interesting that you have concerns over a 50 year old bike when there are many 50 year old cars out there that people drive daily... of course, a vintage Honda is going to need at least some work until you get everything it needs back up to speed after likely decades of neglect, but they can be a joy to own and they're simple enough to work on if you have a fair amount of mechanical understanding. I'd suggest you decide on what size bike you're interested in, look around until you find one you like, and then post the ad for it here with the pictures and info provided. You'll get plenty of responses and opinions to work with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks! I obviously know that I'm on a Honda forum and I'm sure you all do like hondas. I'm just wondering everyone's opinion compared to other bikes, ya see? I don't have a whole lot of info on the bike that's for sale. However I do have a link to the fb market place ad for the motorcycle. It will be copied below. Since I'm a beginner what's the best kind of bike to start with? I've heard it doesn't really matter what cc it is and I've heard differently from other riders.

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
Keep asking the question and you'll get as many answers as you have time to read/listen to. If you want an easy bike to learn both wrenching and riding on I would suggest the Honda 350. More of them produced than any other so parts are relatively plentiful, small enough to handle, big enough to do some highway riding, simple enough to learn the mechanical stuff on. The 450 you're looking at is a bit more complex, doesn't look like that one would require much work although, like most FB ads, he doesn't tell you much. It's also very collectible if that matters. Still light enough for a beginner. You don't say what kind of riding you anticipate. Putting around town, cruising the interstate, riding trails in the woods all have their own requirements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking to ride around town and some highway. Nothing too much since I'll be a beginner. I'm curious also with the price of the bike I shared what questions should I ask the seller, if he's done anything at all to it. KBB for the year, model, and mileage is about 3400$. So the sellers up there with the price. If he really hasn't done any work on the bike what would be a good offer to give him?

·
Registered
554 Posts
If the bike is really as good as it looks in the ad and has a title, I would offer $2500 and negotiate from there. He's already marked it down to $3000.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree with pemdoc.
2.5 is a good starting point if it's a runner, a rider and doesn't need tires.

2.5k will also buy you a newer Honda rebel, great to learn on plus you'll get your 2.5k back when you're ready for a bigger bike.

Are looking to/capable of working on a bike as well?

Many people do not anticipate the amount of attention older machines require and while Hondas are on the lower end of the maintenance spectrum they still require regular attention. You cool with this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks! I was figuring around that price to negotiate with. I don’t mind working on a bike either. That’ll give me experience and understanding about bikes in the future. I’ve always worked on my cars and I think working on motorcycles will only help me in the long run.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I paid 2200 for my cb350 and it needed fine tuning, but I knew I wanted a small project. Plus it was all original in derby green. I couldn't pass it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts