Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it out today for a short run, nothing over 45mph, ran like a dream, read a report by Clymer that the shift change between 1st and 2nd was long, I didn't notice this upshifting , downshifting into corners you can a tad but you can ride around it without to much trouble, slip the clutch a little and keep the revs up a little, this also helps stop the rear wheel from bouncing if your under heavy braking.

Someone has put later switch blocks on it so indicators can be fitted but today I am going to ask if I need indicators, my 66 T20 Suzuki doesn't have them, if I don't need them I will be looking for correct US spec switch blocks.

Well it is on to all the small stuff now to get it fully road ready.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Chris.... AFAIK, the throttle side unit is (nearly) identical to the 305 (CB/CL 77) ...Throttle and start button only (for the early models that have the headlight switch in the shell)...I believe, but am not as sure that the lefts are identical also.........

·
Registered
659 Posts
So how smooth did the engine run ? How much vibration did you get and where on the tach did it really start vibrating. Mine vibrates above 5k. I had one of these new back in the 60's and don't remember any such vibration (hence, I'm rebuilding my engine.)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't forget that in the 60's we were too drunk or stoned to feel anything:)

I didn't get the bike over 45mph so had no vibration, and there is no tacho cable yet. There will be vibration though, it's a para twin after all.
If you put a bike on the main stand and slowly build up the revs and at some point the bike starts to vibrate backwards on the stand, that is going to
show up somewhere while riding, and my 450 vibrates backwards:)

That said if everything on the bike is correct, good tyres and balanced wheels, timing spot on, carbs tuned together, all bearings right, and vibration will
be slight, maybe just a tingle at x speed.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Whereas the controls are similar I think there is a slight difference in the thicknes of the handlebars between the CB72/77 and the 450. I did try swapping them over at some point and found the CB72/77 controls did not fit snug on the 450 bars and the 450 on the CB72/77 bars was a little loose.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Both have 7/8" bars....The Early '77's had the chroming removed to allow the throttle tube to fit/turn... not sure they all did.....

BTW...The CMSNL drawing shows a switch on both bar units....was right on-off and left hi-low?.....

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David Silver has the correct switch blocks, if I don't find any at the swap this weekend I will buy those.

If you look at this page
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k0-blac ... t/F01.html

The left knob is described as both a horn or winker button, maybe for the German market??

The ignition switch on my bike is 4 position which is correct by my electrical diagram, the second position is lights on so the handle bar controls only need
horn, hi-low and starter.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi,

My 1965 bomber vibrates around 3500 to 4000 rpm, in the higher regions I only feel a "twingle".
Most bombers I come across, do have the top engine brackets removed, mine didn't have them either.

Recently I found a NOS pair, and mounted them, and the vibration in the steering and footrests got stronger. After long rides (in fourth gear, doing between 6500 and 8000 rpm) my hands and left foot are "dead meat".

I mounted them because the bike felt unstable when doing high speed long corners, it also felt unstable when doing a few short corners on a row (for example roundabouts). People I asked said "what do you expect from an old bike ?", but after installing these engine mounts, the bike behaved much, much better.

It's not a modern bike, and it never will be, but now it is handling properly.

The switch gear isn't available at CMS right now, but the 305 stuff isn't a good fit either indeed.

There are three versions switchgear :

-no winker switch, Hi / Lo switch on the left side
-winker switch above the starter knob (on the right side)
-winker switch above the horn knob (on the left side), the Hi / Lo switch is then situated above the starter knob

The latest version is due to regulations, it's dangerous to have the winker switch at the throttle side.

Are you looking for the winker switch gear ?, or for the standard switch gear ?
Is your wire harness having the extra wires for the winkers ? and what kind of winker relay do you have ?

Jensen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris;
Do you want/need both sides? I may have a set I removed from my Bomber but don't recall now what kind of shape they are in. I can pull them out and take a look tonight and let you know.
Richard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts