Honda Twins banner

First oil change

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Day444rider 
#1 ·
I decided to do my own oil change. First, canadiantire gave me wrong sparkplugs.gave me br8es. i had trouble with the 17mm nut, a love tap with hammer on wrench got it loose.
oil was black as can be. i could not get the oil filter bolt off. i noticed it looked really rough on th corners. no coke in the house to clean it up. I used castrol 4 stroke 10w40. oil filter next time. next get right spark plugs and air filter.

#2 ·
I like Rotella 15W40 Diesel and its pretty cheap at can tire.

#3 ·
I've been using the Castrol 4 stroke 10w40 as well. I just today fought with the oil filter bolt on my 80. PO must have used a twelve point socket on it, then vise grips. Totally rounded off now. A couple of good whacks with a hammer and sharp chisel on the flat outside surface surrounding the hex of the bolt and off it spun. It was worth it...the oil was black as tar. Castrol 4 stroke 10w40 going in that one as well.

#6 ·
Do you know what condition/age the oil filter is? Granted, there is a minimal amount of old dirty oil left in the oil filter chamber, but why not replace it all?

Here's my bolt and the oil that was in there. I didn't take a pic of the old filter, but it WAS cruddy.

Pipe Synthetic rubber

Reactions: ctrider
#5 ·
What is this "Coke" for clean up you speak of?

Reactions: ancientdad
#8 ·
The oil filter was so plugged, it was blown off its seat. Lay the bike on its side and have at it. Use a SHARP chisel.

#11 ·
Changing the oil with out changing the filter is a waste of time and money. The filter is there for a reason, over time it will get dirty and clogged up. It's well worth the time and effort to get the old bolt off and replaced with a new one. Run the bike, let the oil get hot, then soak the bolt with some penetrate. Try a vise grip with an extension or long handle to get the bolt off. Yes, by all means acquire the replacement bolt first. Oil is the life blood in these bikes, no sense messing up your clutch or the internals over a filter!

#12 ·
The PO tried vice grips, and because on these engines, the bolt head is below the fins, it's difficult/nearly impossible to grab securely and turn.

What ever method you use, get it out and replace that filter. You don't know how long it's been in there. On the one I mentioned above, the PO must have given up and just left it in there. May have been the PO of the PO....you don't know with a newly acquired bike. Yes, it's a hassle, but in the long run, you'll be more confident that the engine will give you less trouble down the road. On the 80 I just got, the oil was not even being filtered. The filter was so plugged with crud, that the oil pressure pushed it off its seat. Effectively , running without filtered oil. That's asking for extreme wear.

#14 ·
If the nut or bolt is below the fins.. have one or two nuts welded on top of them. Then use the vise grips with a length of pipe over the handle. Other suggestion would be to drill two holes in to the oil plate, thread two bolts into them, then using a pry bar between them twist the bar counter clockwise... If there is room a small cold chisel on the edge (either inner or outer or both) and slowly tap it off.
Apply heat to the filter cover and use brute force to remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.