Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first motorcycle last Saturday at an auction. It is a 1974 cl200. There was a cl175 there as well, but I wasn't able to get it. I did not realize it was a rare bike until the night before the auction, but that did not matter because I had my mind set on buying it.

First, I must say that I grew up on three wheelers and I have worked on a lot of old Hondas, but this bike has the rustiest gas tank I have ever seen. The cl has been sitting for some time but everything is there, Except the keys and the title. The big question is, can I get keys without a title, can I get a title, or do I sell it for a parts bike? If I sell it' it would be to buy another Honda. I have been wanting a twin Honda for a long time. Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
you can get keys no problem. Should be a 4 digit code on the ignition switch.
Get it and e-mail hondakeys.com
Title may or may not be a problem.
I know in Quebec, I would not even try!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will email them and see what they say. I forgot to mention that the engine is free and I am going to buy a compression tester soon.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome, Nice score, Where are you located? Some states make it easy to get a title some are down right impossible. Take the ignition switch to a good locksmith they will fit a key for it. Search the forum for cleaning out the tank, lots of info here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am located in Kentucky. It may be hard to get a title in my county, I feel like the people in that office don't want to mess with stuff other that normal auto registration. I will definitely check out this forum more because I will need the help. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally forgot to ask, what is the best service manual for this bike? A Clymer or a stock manual or maybe there is something else?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Honda service manuals are always best, if you can find one. You could always get a Vemont registration, they are pretty easy and not that expensive. Go to Vermont DMV. Gov

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Great score on a cool little bike.

Start here for a title - http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/3-off-topic/38955-title-recovery-methods-2.html

The best way I have found to get a title is to register your bike in VT for a year and then transfer it to KY after a year. Tell KY that VT is not a title state and KY should issue you a brand new title in your name with no fuss. Just did this process on two bikes of mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also just picked up a CL200. Mine is missing the key and seat latch/lock. This winter i'll be ordering a new Honda ignition switch, key and seat lock set on Ebay... its about $100. I'm going this route because my ignition switch is pretty beat up too. There are a few genuine Honda factory service manuals on ebay right now. I bought one last week for $55 shipped. I personally think its worth the extra money to buy a genuine Honda service manual. pictures are clear, information goes into greater detail than Clymer and it covers the CB model too. I also picked up an original Owners manual that has more information you may not find in the service manual. Owners manuals are usually fairly cheap ($20-30). Do you plan on keeping this bike?

Alex IMG_9203.jpg FullSizeRender (32).jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered keys from Hondakeys.com. I emailed him and he replied the same day, which is awesome. I waiting on them but anxious to get started on this project

1 - 12 of 12 Posts