Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1973 CB350 pretty cheap. It is in pieces at the moment but there are enough parts to a complete bike with lots of spare parts left. I plan to make it a rat/bobber. I am not going to hard tail it. The guy I bought it from is rebuilding the carbs for me and is going to help me fine tune everything when I get everything built. Is this a k4 model? I have been seeing different models for the 350's; k3, k4, G, etc. The VIN is in the CB350- 400..... series.

Wish me luck.

09-12-2010 I now have a different frame. A title 1972 cl350. Read more about it later in this thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Re: First build...wish me luck

All the very best of luck. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
272 Posts

Damn right best luck! I love the red/black. You going to keep that color combination ?

G

·

Best of luck with this. It takes guts to tackle a build like this. I hope to have the balls someday!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: First build...wish me luck 1973 Honda CB350 k4

Thanks for all of the support. I have a feeling that I will be needing all of you soon. I have a lot more pics of the parts but I didn't post them all. I will post my progress as I go. I am looking for a set of drag bars for it right now. I am going to get the cheapest ones I can. If anyone is interested in the stock bars, let me know. I will sell cheap or trade for other parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

been working with the wire wheel. I think I am just going to get it sandblasted....this is a lot of work. Is anyone able to tell me what model this is? K4, G, etc? Also, the studs that hold the rubber gas tank mounts were ground off by the previous owner. What are my options here? The guy I bought it from said that he could send me studs to have welded on or he could give me another frame. What should I do?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
607 Posts

That's a K4 VIN #.
Do you have a title for that frame? If so just weld some studs on there before you paint or powdercoat the frame. If no title, get a frame that has one. nothing worse than a project that can't be sold or licensed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I do have a title for the frame. The 360 frame that I have has the studs on it, should I cut them off of that frame and use on this one or should i just get the studs from the guy I bought it from?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts

I guess whatever is easiest to accomplish-Is the 360 frame you have something that you don't mind cutting up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The 360 frame is untitled. It was a parts bike the guy threw in to make sure I had enough stuff to build a complete bike. I really don't need it for anything. I guess I could cut it up or sell it.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts

I cut those studs off of my bikes frequently when I swap tanks and need to relocate the mounting points...you should know that those are not studs welded to each side but are actually a rod that passes through the frame.

If you want to use a stock CB350 tank mounted in the stock position, you'll have to weld some studs onto the original mounting points. I use round mild steel stock you can buy at most hardware stores...I forget the size, 1/4 inch maybe...if you have the rubber tank mounts just take them to the store with you to make sure they fit. If you don't let me know and I'll measure the rod stock I have.

If you plan to use a differnt tank or change the mounting location for the stock tank, I just drill a hole through both sides of the frame, pass the bar stock all the way through and then weld around the holes...super easy and strong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

thanks...I was wondering if that was a rod that went the whole way through. Is it possible to get the old rod out and replace it with out doing to much damage to the frame?

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts

I never tried to get the old rod out...it's double braced and welded in and looks like a lot of effort for very little return.

why would you want the old rod out anyhow? it's too short to reuse and doesn't weigh enough to make a differance

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I was just wondering if it would be worth getting the old one out and then putting in a new one. I will just weld onto the existing. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well, my tank mounting problem has been solved. The guy I bought it from just gave me a titled 1972 CL350 frame and told me to keep the other one. I now have two titled frames. I may just sell the other one or keep it for a future project.

Now for a question. How do you get the honda emblems off of the tank? I wasn't sure if they were stick on or were attached with studs of some sort in the tank.

Someone inquired about the bars I have so I have included a few pics. There are off of a CL350. I will not be using them and I am willing to trade.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: First build...1973 CB350 k4..changed now 1972 cl350

Can someone tell me how to get the emblem off of the tank without doing too much damage?

I just got them off with a putty knife...

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: First build...1973 CB350 k4..change of plan now 1972 cl3

I've got the tank stripped down and almost ready for primer.
Two questions:

1) How do you remove the gas cap (is it necessary?)

2) I want to get rid of the little bit of rust in the tank. I have been told that evaporust works well. The place that sells it here was out and the guy told me to use muriatic acid. I have read that there are a lot of negatives using muriatic acid. Any opinions????

1 - 20 of 53 Posts