Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So found a bike - 1970 CL450 that I bought to do a full restomod. I joined Brother Moto in Atlanta where I live so I can work on my bike there. I want to bring this bike back to life better than it ever was. I am trying to stick with a 3K budget. The bike ran when I bought it although wouldn?t idle without dying. I ran it up and down the street and it shifted well. All electrics and lights work, no leaks. There was some rattle coming from the right side of the engine case (kick starter side).
I?m two days in, removed seat exhaust tank air filters battery. Drained oil. Tank is excellent shape outside but inside is rusted. I?m going to investigate tomorrow how to get it fixed locally - I heard a radiator shop can do it quickly and affordably. I?ll be posting my questions in the appropriate forum during the build and I greatly appreciate any help. I want this to be a build I can be proud of and even pass down to my kid. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
So found a bike - 1970 CL450 that I bought to do a full restomod. I joined Brother Moto in Atlanta where I live so I can work on my bike there. I want to bring this bike back to life better than it ever was. I am trying to stick with a 3K budget. The bike ran when I bought it although wouldn?t idle without dying. I ran it up and down the street and it shifted well. All electrics and lights work, no leaks. There was some rattle coming from the right side of the engine case (kick starter side).
I?m two days in, removed seat exhaust tank air filters battery. Drained oil. Tank is excellent shape outside but inside is rusted. I?m going to investigate tomorrow how to get it fixed locally - I heard a radiator shop can do it quickly and affordably. I?ll be posting my questions in the appropriate forum during the build and I greatly appreciate any help. I want this to be a build I can be proud of and even pass down to my kid. Wish me luck!
First off, welcome to Honda Twins! I will try to break this down:
1. Awsome, another 450 project!
2. Brother Moto, don't know them. you have to have a place to work.
3. $3K is about right. You can go over this amount. It is hard to make it better than auntie Honda.
4. a runner is a good place to start. You will need to figure how far into it you want to go.
5. It is not uncommon for these to have a rattle. It can be a simple as a loose valve or cam chain adjustment.
6. Keep the battery on a float charger. If you don't it will be dead by the time it is put back together.
7. A radiator shop will ruin the exterior paint on the gas tank. Do a vinegar treatment and then a tank liner. I like Caswell. All my bikes have it
8. I suggest you do a project log. People will freely provide advice, requested or not .
Take care of the bike and have a good time. keep us posted and post lots of pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts