Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My dad just helped me get my first bike, a 1978 Honda Twinstar 185cc, it had been in storage for about 20 years before we purchased it. It need some minor cosmetic work, and some basic stuff (new filters, new fuel lines etc.), it has good compression but since brining it home we have found that it has no spark.
We are hoping to over the winter get it ready for next spring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's a cool bike.
Take your time and enjoy the process of going through the bike to fix it up. i personally think that's the best part :)

Be safe on the road!

·
Sensei
27,013 Posts
Just to verify....That bike REQUIRES a good 6 Volt battery to produce spark to the plugs......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes; we have a brand new fully charged battery, and new plugs, we are thinking it’s probably and issue with the points.

·
Sensei
27,013 Posts
If you care to phone, I'll be happy to go through some diagnostics that can verify if it is the points, the coils, or the power supply to them that is the problem area......
540-525-5199

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We’ve found that the starter is good, we are leaning towards points. I’ve been hunting around to see if I can find a shop manual

·
Sensei
27,013 Posts
My first suspect would be a fuse....then the "kill" switch and/or its connections.......
You can bypass by jumping black/white wire at coil to black wire going to either flasher or horn......

PM longdistancerider for factory shop manual pdf link......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts