Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Just joined up..bought my first bike to restore a few hours ago..a 1972 CB450..it was in police service in Pakistan apparently and I wanted to trace what it would originally look like so I can get close to that..i am wondering if it was built for police service or later converted...the service apparently added dual shocks at the back for an added person carrying weight...

One of the things I am a bit confused about is whether this is original or modified..a 1972 should not have drums at the front??

I will be regular on this forum for everyones advise and learn from everyones experience the best I can..

Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Looks like a 5-speed frame/tank, and motor - numbers starting with 5 would be a US K5, but all bets are off concerning foreign models.
Appears to be a front end complete from a 4-speed.
the rear fender "looks like" a 4-speed, not sure - it may just be a foreign model fender.
Generally the mechanical siren was mounted in the rear, with the "drive" on the rear wheel.
Never saw anything quite like those shocks.
This was probably cobbled together in-house, not an official police model.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Definitely an interesting bike to compare to the US Police model. It certainly has some hard to find parts like the siren and cable as well as the rear crash bar as well as the documents holder which this one has a pillion pad on it. Has the correct police headlamp with speedo in MPH too. Front end and fenders appear to me to be like the US K1 police version which has the European K1 style fenders. The tank is later, not a K1 toaster obviously. Does the gas cap screw on perhaps? The serial number is odd for police... in the US the K1 police bikes frame started with CB450P-300xxxx. There was also an extra brace in the frame on US versions between the rear triangle and seat stays. This bike doesn’t appear to have that. In sum I agree with Bill, it looks like a 450 with police parts added and not what we in the US know as an original police bike. Still there are many hard to find police parts on that bike that would be of value on a restoration.
Here is a link to a US police K1: https://goo.gl/images/tRrni2

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely an interesting bike to compare to the US Police model. It certainly has some hard to find parts like the siren and cable as well as the rear crash bar as well as the documents holder which this one has a pillion pad on it. Has the correct police headlamp with speedo in MPH too. Front end and fenders appear to me to be like the US K1 police version which has the European K1 style fenders. The tank is later, not a K1 toaster obviously. Does the gas cap screw on perhaps? The serial number is odd for police... in the US the K1 police bikes frame started with CB450P-300xxxx. There was also an extra brace in the frame on US versions between the rear triangle and seat stays. This bike doesn’t appear to have that. In sum I agree with Bill, it looks like a 450 with police parts added and not what we in the US know as an original police bike. Still there are many hard to find police parts on that bike that would be of value on a restoration.
Thanks for that!

I think the brace was cut to make room for an addition shock. Maybe an extra police man was meant to occupy the back seat..please see a side shot attached..

As for the tank i am a bit confused..maybe over the years, the side silver covers of the police version were stripped off...the blue stripes is actually some sort of sticker or vinyl...

I will get delivery of the bike soon and will share some detailed pictures!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
...maybe over the years, the side silver covers of the police version were stripped off
No, that tank is definitely from a K3 or K4, the K1 tank - affectionately called a toaster tank because of the chrome panels with rubber knee pads attached to the sides - used mounting areas for the chrome side panels that would've had to be covered with body work to get to the shape of the tank that is on the bike right now, not likely to have been done (particularly in view of the average to below-average work on it already visible, highly possible much or all of that happened where it was used as a Police bike - which is still somewhat amazing to me, as you might expect it to have been blown up at some point)

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
It could be an export police bike with missing parts, or a locally built police bike with addons. Its got some pretty cool parts, thats for sure.

I found this link of a guy with a Police bike that was from Dubai, looks similar to yours, and the owner added some extra things, but was a 1970 police which would explain your tank. 1970 Dubai Police Honda CB450 Classic Motorcycle Pictures

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
^^^that would explain a few things, like the remnant bracket on the siren intended to be mounted on the crash bars, and the tank as well. Taillight looks the same too... but those dual rear shocks - wow...

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Need more pictures to help answer questions. It’s a mix up of a bike based on what we are used to seeing. I take back my K1 front end comment from earlier. The top triple tree is the pinch bolt style. It really does seem like an early ‘70s with police parts added. Hopefully Hamza isn’t a purist... I don’t know if there is a way to restore this to an original police bike as it’s doubtful it is truly one. It does have some of the desirable police bits on it though. And yeah the double shocks...I thought I had already had one too many beers tonight!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
HI Hamza
I'm into the early 450 police bikes.

I agree with the comments above.

I think this is a later model with police parts added although the rear crash bars appear to be correctly fitted.

Engine and frame numbers would tell us a lot.

It has good hard to find police parts although the seat and rear pad look homemade. Not sure if the rear carrier is more similar to the 750.

Hopefully you will know more once you get the bik

Engine

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Good info and the link was interesting as well. so, when did Honda stop classifying the Police model as a "CP"? was it when the 450s came out? I have a CP77 frame, that I picked up, from ebay, to use in a project, because it had a title with it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks for that!

I think the brace was cut to make room for an addition shock. Maybe an extra police man was meant to occupy the back seat..please see a side shot attached..

As for the tank i am a bit confused..maybe over the years, the side silver covers of the police version were stripped off...the blue stripes is actually some sort of sticker or vinyl...

I will get delivery of the bike soon and will share some detailed pictures!!
Looking forward to see just what is going on, with this one. Sure never saw one anything like it.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the replies..I also recently got my hands on a barn find sort of CBX1000 with original 9k miles!! i was a bit overwhelmed with that so I have packed that up and kept it till I restore and work on my CB450 and hopefully export a bit of knowledge I gather on the CB journey :) :)

The I have started pulling apart the 450 and I have posted a question regarding the police speedo on the electrical subsection of the forum...

I am opening the bike but I dont know what the final look would be as I am having a hard time finding out what the original would have looked like...any help is welcome :)

Engine and Frame No as follows:

Frame No: 5043057
Engine No: 5043157

Cheers

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Do us a favor and remove the seat and then take a photo of the frame where the seat was to also include the rear section with the passenger seat/rack. There should be some unique brackets on the frame if it’s a factory police bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do us a favor and remove the seat and then take a photo of the frame where the seat was to also include the rear section with the passenger seat/rack. There should be some unique brackets on the frame if it’s a factory police bike.
Thanks! I just finished taking the rear out!! Plan to drop the engine tmrw or the day after hopefully!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Interesting to look at your photos. Even though the serial numbers of your bike do not correspond with known 450 police bikes, it does appear that your frame has the factory brackets for the seat and document holder. I base this off the knowledge I have of a known K1 police bike which is in my photo (yes, I realize the seat is not correct on mine but the frame is a 450P). It makes me wonder if Honda produced some police bikes later than the K1 in other parts of the world? It would be great if anyone else had any knowledge of these. Without any other help it’s going to be hard to know what was originally stock for your bike. It seems to be an oddball at least based on what we find in the USA. Good find you have there. Treat her with care.
IMG_3180.JPG

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
12ozPBR You are correct about this police bike. I have a k1/2 .

The frame appears correct for a police bike. But everything else is a bit oddball.

My friend Greg built the later CB450 Dubai Police bike but I am thinking it was a later year, mid to late 70s. I am away now so can't check my records.

Greg is an experienced award winning bike restorer. We have attended some bike shows together him with his K5? Dubai and me with my K0.

In police bike circles this Pakistan bike is a rarity.

I note you are looking at pictures of a k1 police with the wrong seat. Is that by any chance the one owned by Jodahonda in Norway/Sweden?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts