Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a complete engine rebuild on a 1968 CL450. I'm interested to know what finishes, if any, were applied to the engine at the factory. I believe the crankcase and head were unpainted bare aluminum and all polished aluminum parts (covers) were clear coated. Can someone please verify. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Finn,

I have been lurking on this forum a while, but finally registered today as I have information that may be useful to you.

Two weeks ago I bought, on Ebay, a 1969 CL450 'Barn Find', recently imported to the Uk from the USA, with very low recorded mileage and no sign of the engine ever being opened until now, and very little sign of wear inside. I have been lurking here, mainly to find information on fixing a gear selection fault which I believe took the bike off the road and into storage (thankfully dry) a long time ago. The owner had been in the clutch cover, failed to fix it and realised he needed to take the engine out and split the cases (I found a broken gear selector pin pin when I dropped the oil) but rounded the first 12mm head steady nut he tried, the rest were very tight and untouched. I think he then lost heart and put the bike away.

I bought the bike I did mostly on the excellent condition of the chromed parts and the alloy was mostly untouched Honda brushed alloy with laquer which has turned yellow with age. As you say the head and barrels are unpainted, the side cases were polished and laquered as were the top of the cases, the cam end covers and a small portion of the case where the starter goes into the alternator case. Hopefully the timewarp condition can help you, as not many bikes are this untouched nearly 50 years later.

I hope these pictures help:

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

Here is the pin I found yesterday when I dropped the oil, it measures 4x8.4mm, I think it is a selector pin, broken at the circlip groove, I will know for sure when the cases are split.

IMG_2212.JPG

As I also have a CB750 K1 I am a member of the uk sohc forum, you can see the progree so far in this thread:
LINK

I will be posting more on this forum as I need to know what to do and where to get things.

If a moderator can make the attachement underneath, with the engine on its side, go away I would be grateful.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gosh, it almost looks like a shift fork pin, hard to see though. That happened on my 68 CL also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts