Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for reading, I'm beating my head against a wall here.

When I bought my bike it had been garaged for ten years. So far I've cleaned and redkoted the tank, installed new throttle cable, new petcock, fuel lines, etc. Now I've got the thing running but its idling really high and dies when I give it gas. I've cleaned both the carbs and installed a rebuild kit with gaskets, etc. I've looked around this great website and people seem to say "pilot jets" and "the little holes" so I took the carbs apart and cleaned them again.

When I take the air boxes off and look from the rear of the bike it appears one of the slides is about a quarter inch higher than the other. I don't know how to fix this, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for this... Also, my spark plugs still work but they are a scary looking black color on the tips.

I moved the "E" clips to the top marker thinking that it was running too rich. I'm not a mechanic so I'm really lost when it comes to "feeling" for rich or too thin mixtures.

Last time I cranked it, yesterday, it idled around 5000 steady. I fiddled with the mixture screws a little but couldn't get it to come down. When I tried to rev the engine it had the opposite affect. Every twist of the throttle killed the engine just a little and then I twisted it all the way and it died completely and I rolled it back into the garage.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I've looked around the forums and tried the things I think applied to my problem, so this is a last resort...

Andrew
Burlington NC

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
I wonder if it is related to the throttle cable you say you installed.

I've tried three aftermarket throttle cables, two CB175 and one Cb200, and they all came up too short, holding the throttle slides partially open, or not opening the throttle fully, depending on adjustment. I gave up in the end and made up my own cable from the twist grip to the cable splitter.

If one of your slides is out of synch with the other its never going to run properly.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Andrew, Phone me while you are at the bike.......540-525-5199....Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, I'd love to do that. I can phone you Friday or Saturday at a time that's best for you.

Richard, would the out-of-sync slides cause that result? I agree the cable is finicky (I've read that from others as well from this website) but it seems to be long enough if I run it under the tank but I'm not sure... it feels like there is slack there. I'm afraid I don't know how to "make my own" cable. Sounds daunting but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks for the quick response. I forget the internet is full of great people that I often delay asking for help.

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
The issue I had with the throttle cable was that the inner cable in the single cable that runs from the twist grip to the splitter under the tank was too short.

This meant that when the cable was installed, both my throttle slides were held partially open. Bike was hard to start, and when it did start it went straight to 5k rpm, a bit scary with a freshly built motor.

The solution was to shorten the outer cable, thus giving a bit more slack in the inner cable, allowing the slides to close fully. This was with the cable adjusters at the twist grip and carb tops fully screwed in. First time, I thought I'd got a poor quality pattern cable, but when a further two cables from different suppliers turned out the same, I was puzzled. Only thing I can think is that CL uses a slightly different cable to the CB175 and CB200, I couldn't source a CL cable over here.

Are both your pipes getting hot when the engine starts ? If one is cold, that would indicate that one throttle was open more than the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts