Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as the title says, I finally joined. Been lurking for a while now, but being snowed in this weekend was the motivation I needed.

I'm around 50, had a motorcycle endorsement since high school, but had been not riding for about 20 years when I had a heart attack in 2016.

I decided to start enjoying life again, and bought a $600 project bike. A Cm400t. The downward spiral began. A parts bike was acquired. It was put back on road and sold to fund a Goldwing. A Cb450t was purchased, a Cb400t was acquired . Another cb400t was purchased for its titled frame.....

I was an auto mechanic in the past(hvac tech now) so I am enjoying turning wrenches as much as riding. For me, it is a type of therapy.The low price on the twins is keeping me focused on them. Goldwing is really the "couch on wheels " for the wife and I to take the longer weekend rides.

I do have photos of some of my projects, and intend to start some build threads for criticism and perhaps in the rare case, assist someone from duplicating my own mistakes.

I'm not on computer a lot, but look forward to feedback and interaction from what I've discovered is a great group! Thanks for having me, Craig

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome - good to hear you survived your heart attack (apparently, hopefully) unscathed. Pictures please... gives us a better idea of your situation and where we can help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
IMG_0965.JPG hoping something loads - the bike that started to rekindle the fire! She no longer looks like this, she is now the white bike in my avatar photo. 1980 cm400t, with a 81 400c tank, and 82 cm450e rims, wearing dual sport tires, with a modified seat pan.

Ergo shorty mufflers, but still has factory mailbox and exhaust collector.

Need to edit first post, MCI was in 2015, not 2016.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Do you have a proper Factory Service Manual? More pics please. What mod did you do to the seat pan?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
No worries... if you post pictures from a phone, know that if you take them in "portrait" mode (phone vertically held) they will come out sideways on the website, as yours did above. Landscape (or better yet, transferred to a computer, corrected if necessary and then uploaded) should come out properly oriented

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words. In answer to the FSM , I've been working with a paperback Clymers .

As for the seat pan, no photos when I did the mod, but some afters. I basically purschased a 78 cb400t seat cover, shortened the rear of the pan by cutting metal pan near owners manual compartment, lapping to length and welding. Then shaved and added foam until new cover looked right

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More photos... the bike is currently white, HOWEVER , I did not paint the brown factory 81c tank. It, and the side covers are safe on a shelf as well as a unmolested seat pan.

About the only thing I don't have is a factory headlight bucket if I want to go back to factory stock . Factory exhaust is on another project at the moment, I want this bike to be able to return to stock if I desire.

And yes, The Vetter Windjammer is still on the shelf, but the 83gl1100 serves the role of tourer

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome, nice bikes and road sofa:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts