Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a lot of hassle with the right intake valve the bike runs now but I need to do some final tuning
basic carb set up is done as per the missing post and the bike starts up and runs if I open the choke (at about 3000rpm) I let her warm up but no matter what as soon as I close the choke she dies what steps do I need to take to get her to idle with out the choke open?
thanks

PS pics of the completed bike will be up on monday (that's when she gets her strips :) )

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Closing the choke WILL stall a warm engine....it normally runs with the choke open.....

Assuming you have open and closed confused,.... if it won't run without the choke, you aren't getting fuel through the pilot circuit or the idle is set too low..... Clean and adjust the carbs...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well lets clarify if I have open and closed confused
on the left hand carb there is a lever and it is labeled "open" with a curved arrow (sort of pointing down) as it stand's I can start the bike and it runs if I put that lever to the open position (pushed down so it is in a vertical position), is that the way its supposed to be?

is the bike supposed to run if I lift the lever to the "closed" position (pulled up so it's in a horizontal position)?
carbs are really, really, really clean when I was having the valve issues I first pulled the carbs and cleaned them to make sure they were not the problem.

so do I run the bike with the lever in the vertical position or the horizontal position? and what is the idle supposed to be for these bikes? 1500rpm???

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You want it pushed down (open or vertical) when running...... If you lift the lever (closed or horizontal), you are cutting off most of the air supply ...hence "choking it"...This creates an over-rich condition that's great for cold starts, but will "kill" the engine (flooding it) once it's warmed up....
Normal idle speed is 1200 to 1300 RPM's...(sometimes set a bit higher if compression is low)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll admit that this confused me a little too. Not whether or not the choke should be open or closed for normal operation, but the position of the lever itself. I've always understood that when you have a 90 degree turn valve, the handle should be parallel with the direction of flow which results in an open valve, with the valve perpendicular to flow the valve would be shut. NOT IN THIS CASE!!! Honda just had to mount that lever off 90 degrees. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts