Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 73 CL350 with 450 carbs on it. Im having a hard time getting a good seal, because im trying to run stock air filters and it doesnt line up. Im toying around with maybe putting on some filter pods, would this be a fairly easy mod or im I gonna regret even fooling with it? Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
oldskool said:
Ive got a 73 CL350 with 450 carbs on it. Im having a hard time getting a good seal, because im trying to run stock air filters and it doesnt line up. Im toying around with maybe putting on some filter pods, would this be a fairly easy mod or im I gonna regret even fooling with it? Thanks for any and all advice.
450 carbs tend to be pretty forgiving as far as air filters are concerned.
Personally, I favor the Uni foam socks - there won't be any fitment problems with them, and they work real good.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I have Uni's on 450 carbs on my 360 with great results. I like the look of the filter pods from K&N, but they would interfere with my frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I usually try not to run aftermarket air filters but on my CB450 with stock everything else I was real concerned about the stock air filters while trying to get the bike to run correctly. They just seemed like they were plugged but not that dirty looking. I had a set of pod filters laying around that I took off of a bike and put them on. The bike actually runs better now with those filters. Being that the NOS stock filters are so expensive and these pods fit right under the side covers I will continue to run them. I would say IMO go ahead and give them a try. I had good luck with them on my 450 carbs.
Don

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
oldskool said:
Yes DRILL SGT!!! Oh the memories. Let me go knock out some push-ups!
Drop and give me 50, Troop !!!!
My dad the "Thinks he is still in the Marine Corps after 47 years" used to make me drop and give him push ups calling me a maggot and all that like I was a Marine Boot my self.
I joined the USAF to piss him off.
I will never do another push up in my life unless you count what I have to do with my wife.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
fasterspider said:
I joined the USAF to piss him off.
That would do it, allright.....
Sounds like a real sweetheart, ya' maggot !! :eek: :eek: :shock: :x :x
He he he he
He was also a cop and I used get busted just to piss him off too.
I did not have a good relationship with the old man then.
Things are much different now and I don't want to piss him off anymore. We get along great now that I live 3000 miles away from him.

Back on topic here.
Dude has 450 carbs on his 350?
450 carbs have solid aluminum pistons for the CV slides and 350 carbs have rubber diaphragms on top of their CV slides.

You all know that but, I am just learning these bikes.

I am having a problem with my semi new to me right side carb and need to change it back out with the old one. I changed carbs because of holes in the diaphragms.
Anyway, do 450 carbs work on 350 engines?
It would be nice to have carbs I dont have to worry about holes in the diaphragms.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Ray -

A number of issues have to be overcome to use 450 carbs on a 350.
Guys report that there are fitment problems, with the frame downtube getting in the way.
The rubber intake manifolds also have to be dealt with, as they are different diameters.
And of course stock 450 jets are entirely inappropriate for 350's.

I wish some of the guys who have done it would give some details - lots of 350 owners would be interested, as the 450 carb is a vastly superior device (long as you keep them scrupulously clean). And with the diaphragm problem, it could be a very attractive option.
We did have a fellow here ("Woody") who tried it and gave up, even after I sent him some CB400T manifolds, which are angled outwards slightly.
We haven't heard from Woody in quite a while, wonder what happened to him??

The 450 slides may visually appear to be solid aluminum, but a close inspection of one reveals that they're not. I think their very light weight is why Honda later started putting return springs on top of the slides for the DOHC Four generations. I don't beleive adequate vacuum is created to lift a solid aluminim slide.

And yes, most of us get along better with relatives when they're at least a couple hundred miles away.....

·
Registered
785 Posts
Okay Bill, thanks for the explanation.
When I said solid pistons, I did not mean 100% solid.
I am well aware of Honda hard CV slides being I have taken apart and cleaned so many DOHC Honda carbs, they are a finiky carb that needs the stock air box to work.
I guess I will have to stick with my 350 carbs, the diaphragms are in good shape and should last a long time if I use the bike on a regular basis.
Listen to me like I am going to keep this bike. I keep telling my self I am going to sell it.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah, I never figured out why they just didn't leave a good thing (450 carbs) alone, instead of adding springs, accelerator pumps, anti-backfire valves, and all that other useless crap.
They sure buggered up an elegant design.
A straight 450 carb adjusts nicely to intake and exhaust changes.........

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Yeah, I never figured out why they just didn't leave a good thing (450 carbs) alone, instead of adding springs, accelerator pumps, anti-backfire valves, and all that other useless crap.
They sure buggered up an elegant design.
A straight 450 carb adjusts nicely to intake and exhaust changes.........
How about because the US Government had to get involved with the EPA and all the emmissions crap you mentioned that went in.
The accellerator pump is a nice thing I think but, it is suited to bigger carbs like on my CBX.
CBX CV carbs and DOHC CV carbs look the same on the outside and even look similar on the inside but, they are different. CBX carbs will take to tuning unlike DOHC carbs that are the most userfriendly but nonmodable carbs going.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah, the guvment' is pretty good at fouling things up.
Personally, I prefer simplicity - simple is good.

It's weird - I had a 1972 Datsun (remember them ??) pickup that got over 45 mpg. Drove that thing for over 10 years and never put a dime into it. My current 2000-era small 4-banger Chevy pickup gets 20 mpg, maybe, and has zero performance, it's a slug.
That's progress??? I don't think so......
And diesels are "cleaner" ?? You'd get an argument on that from any biker who's been trapped behind a city bus or a slow-moving semi, sucking diesel fumes for 20 miles - yuk !!

In light of the automaker fiasco going on, we'll all probably be riding government-made bikes soon - with Obama's picture painted on every tank........... and GPS trackers, so they can make sure we're driving properly.
With automatic cut-offs so the bike will shut down if they don't approve of our activities.

Assuming any of us will have the money to ride anywhere before long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts