Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone looking for the old style of brake pads or shoes for their CB, or other makes/models, I've got a line on some NOS sets of actual asbestos brake pads/shoes.. I know I know, asbestos.. Oh noes! :shock: The fact is, from what I know the old asbestos pads offered far better braking then todays modern compounds that are available for these old bikes. As long as you wear gloves and a mask then you should be just fine when changing them. Of course I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOU ACTUALLY USING THEM AND GETTING CANCER!

The brand is FERODO, and he has a large stock of asbestos and non asbestos pads/shoes.

Anyway, if anyone is interested then here's his email addy: [email protected]
Here's his craigslist ad: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/1256267742.html

I'm buying two front sets today, with shipping figured in for a grand total of $39.00 They even include the plastic washer that goes behind the pads! Hard to find these days.

Here's the set for a 450/500/550/750,etc...
[attachment=0:5a7trh08]FDB119.jpg[/attachment:5a7trh08]

I'll let everyone here know if/when I recieve them and if this guy's legit..

GB :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've just paid him and it turns out he's a Verified Premier Member through Paypal..

All should be good.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured, even though they're the no no material asbestos, that people would be snapping these up! It really isn't any worse than doing a brake job on someone's old streetrod.. For the cheap prices you can't really go wrong.. ;)

I was kinda skeptical at first. Buying off of Craigslist is a crap shoot at best, but after I paid him and it said he was a verified premier seller, that made me feel a lot better about it..

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I figured, even though they're the no no material asbestos, that people would be snapping these up! It really isn't any worse than doing a brake job on someone's old streetrod.. For the cheap prices you can't really go wrong.. ;)

I was kinda skeptical at first. Buying off of Craigslist is a crap shoot at best, but after I paid him and it said he was a verified premier seller, that made me feel a lot better about it..

Mate he sent mine and has given a USPS shipping conformation number, confirmed by USPS and all four sets sent to my door for $100 neat! got to be happy with that ;) I like to think that people are generally good and like to be treated the same, so I'm happy. In all 9 years on evilbay i have not been ripped of once :roll: it'll happen now.

Charles (the seller) said that he is running low on these pads so if you are thinking of getting some, hop on it :)

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, he sent me the same email.. Plus the Verified Premier Member status thing I mentioned in my previous post, makes me feel pretty good about it. Heck of a deal too! ;)

I'm glad you're getting some sets. For once something that I posted actually helped someone out.. :oops:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my two sets today and everything was as stated! Even had the little plastic washer like he said. I'm a happy camper. One more part to add to the collection..

Plus I picked up an entire early bomber triple clamp assembly just for the dampner parts for cheap! Hopefully I'll have it soon. I'll have the top clamp for sale on here shortly... ;) I'm keeping the lower clamp and the dampner.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
GB.....
Why are you re-selling the top bridge?.... Are you going to remove the stem and put it (and the damper) in a later lower tree for your disc brake front end?...... Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, as usual, I haven't given this enough thought probably. I just click BUY IT NOW, and worry later. :lol: What size are the bomber fork tubes?

Ultimately, I'm trying to get a dampner installed on my bike. I've got 2 other damper rods (only one with knob) for parts but needed the top nut, and the little knob detent catch thingy too. I'm trying to cobble something together.. I am a little afraid of removing any stem and rewelding it into another lower clamp.. I don't know how I'd get it square for welding? I do know I have to have a lower clamp that has the two tabs built into the stem to grasp the dampner nut.

Any enlightening thoughts?? ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
GB -

The two "tabs" on the bottom clamp are steering "stops", they have nothing to do with the damper.
The damper-holder thingy is the large tab on the bottom of the frame "tube" that the stem goes through.

It's pretty hard to see on this photo of my bike because of all the blackness....

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Bill, I believe GB is referring to the "tabbed" cut on/at the very bottom of the stem itself that retains the control nut/star spring assembly.....
GB... That is a part of the stem and transfers with it to the new yoke. The early forks are 35mm, but I believe the width apart spacing is different on the Bomber trees (You'll have to check/compare for us....) :D Steve

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
66Sprint said:
Bill, I believe GB is referring to the "tabbed" cut on/at the very bottom of the stem itself that retains the control nut/star spring assembly.....
GB... That is a part of the stem and transfers with it to the new yoke. The early forks are 35mm, but I believe the width apart spacing is different on the Bomber trees (You'll have to check/compare for us....) :D Steve

I get it - you mean the big "slot" in the bottom of the stem..........

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, Steve understood what I meant Bill. The little slot on the underside that holds the nut/starwheel thingy. I'll be comparing as soon as I get all of the parts in.

I imagine Steve is right about the spacing being different though. Seeing how one model was drum and one was disc.. The bomber stuff just looks narrower to me. In pictures at least..

I've got my fingers crossed! ;)

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
The nice part is that the "bomber" stem is a pressed in (nominally interference) fit, and can be pressed back out .... Then, you simply grind off the under yoke stem welds on the Disc yoke, press that stem out and discard it... Press the "bomber" stem in.... and spot weld to "pin it" in place..... Phone me and I'll explain in depth the "extra" things you must do to get the entire mod done correctly......Too hard to "write" it without "room" for mis-interpretation.....Or PM your phone and I'll call you at an appointed time.... easier to do than to explain....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not even sure if I want to attempt that really. If I had a late/last year model CL450 lower triple that'd solve that problem I believe. At least from the researching I've done over the years..

I've already got my lower triple powdercoated and would like to leave it that way to sell it if I'm not going to use it.

I will call you Steve if you wanna PM me your number again, with a good time to call.

GB -

I have a spare disk brake 450 stem/bottom clamp......

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep the fork spacing is different between the bomber and later model 450's. The bomber stuff is several millimeters more narrow. On the bright side, the guy sent me two sets of dampner parts for some reason. I aint complaining!! ;)

I will have the upper and lower triple clamps for sale here soon. I'm planning on making my own for sale thread soon.

Can anyone take a picture of their CL450 lower clamp for me? Specifically the steering stop area and underneath of the lower clamp? PRETTY PLEASE?? :cry:

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
GB...E-mail me, I might be willing to build you a disc tree with damper stem installed ( Like I did for Bill) in exchange for one of the damper "kits".... Steve

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you can take my K7 lower tree and press fit the early stem into it, then that's cool with me. I do need the late style of steering stops, and the fork spacing of the K7 style lower. I could probably do it but since you done one already I'll put my life in your hands.. :shock: :? :eek:

The only thing that sucks is ruining that nice black powdercoat.. :cry:

Email sent Steve.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts