Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a '71 CB450. I just had the front fender off to clean and straighten it, and before I replaced the fender stays, I looked at the bike and thought: "Wow, my bike looks a lot better without the stays". My question is this: Is it safe to ride the bike without the two stock fender stays? I'm assuming they're there for a very good reason, but they really look over-designed and a bit out of scale with the rest of the bike. I'd love to leave them off if possible. I see lots of cafe bikes without the stays, but those fenders are usually shorties, not the longer stock fenders like mine.

Any thoughts?

IMG_7113.jpg IMG_7117.JPG

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Yes, you can run without the stays. They are there to keep the fender from flexing which you may notice in cross winds or at high speed. The actual fender mounting to the forks is what keeps everything working correctly, if the fender is removed a fork brace becomes critical.
You did post in the right section and I don't know why one of the usual DOHC people didn't respond. I usually leave this section alone because I know very little about them

·
Sensei
27,170 Posts
I somehow missed this post as well......(Thank-you Jim for covering it.....)
My OPINION is that IF the stays were not necessary, Honda would not have gone to the added manufacturing expense to make and install them....(Athough, Honda is known for a bit of engineering "overkill").....
That being said, I would at least run the lower rear one (as it doubles the structural integrity and resistance to flexing of the "stay-less" fender), and don't be surprised when the leading half starts to crack where it is supported by/at the central brace.....

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
That is a really nice looking 450 !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. The stays are going back on tomorrow. The more I look at it, the more it looks like something's missing. And it's hard to imagine arguing with a Honda engineer's decision to add a feature ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
You could always run a CL front fender, but then you would have an empty cable grommet mounting hole. Gorgeous bike you have there!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I would run the rear stays for safety reasons, you don't need the rear edge of the fender being snagged by the tire tread. Ditto what Steve says, it WILL crack without support in the front.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
specifically, it will crack at the rivets, starting with the front ones, then the rear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts