Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A call to all Honda CJ Owners. We are all a bit different to the other models, or should I say that the other models are different to ours! With our main differences being no electric start, slightly lighter, 5 speed gearbox and 2 into 1 exhaust.
I have restored my 1976 CJ250T and have found a couple of issues with it. I would imagine that over the time the PO's have changed a few things and immediately to me is the headlight. The current headlight is from a Suzuki T200 (I think), it's got Suzuki stamped on it anyway. My questions/queries to the fellow owners out there are:-

1. What have others done with the tangled mess of wires (birds nest) inside the headlight? Has someone found a clever way to make it neater. I will show you mine if you show me yours!

2. Looking at the schematic for the CJ model is that the left handle bar controls are not meant to be earthed, yet mine appear to be earthed! When the controls are off the handle bar the indicators work, when the control is back on they stop! and the relay emitts a loud buzzing sound. The schematic for the CB/CL models appear to be earthed at the handle bar, is this correct? Here is a photo of my control, can anyone tell if this is a CJ control or from another model? I note the difference in colour of the the halves, so that could be a problem.

Steve

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The horn won't work if the unit isn't grounded......I think the problem is the incorrect half....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wiring for the horn is different as the ground for it is wired by a green wire (earth) inside the headlight. As opposed to inside the switch block, based on the schematic.
Can you tell me which half is the correct half?

Steve

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
According to my FSM for the CJ, the light green wire grounds to the bars/unit when the button is pushed......
The problem sounds like there is a short in the gray wire to the top half....Check for a cut/nick caused short where the wires clamp into the unit and where they go into the hole in the bars...
I'll bet the horn won't sound with the unit removed from the bars....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, you are right the horn doesn't sound at all, only because it is RS and needs replacing. Ordered a replacement one and will see what happens.

Steve

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Haysie said:
Here is a photo of my control, can anyone tell if this is a CJ control or from another model? I note the difference in colour of the the halves, so that could be a problem.
why would that be indicative of a non standard part?
i assumed the two-tone look was stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts