Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my '71 450's directionals flash very fast in relation to rpm. i.e. the higher the rpm, the faster the flash.

This leads me to believe that the bike must have a voltage regulator problem, except I just put a new (used) one on and it's having the same problem.

is there a way to test an old voltage regulator? or better yet, what's my best plan of action?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
hiemet said:
So my '71 450's directionals flash very fast in relation to rpm. i.e. the higher the rpm, the faster the flash.

This leads me to believe that the bike must have a voltage regulator problem, except I just put a new (used) one on and it's having the same problem.

is there a way to test an old voltage regulator? or better yet, what's my best plan of action?

Put a multimeter on the batter with the engine running and when you rev the bike up to, say, 3000 rpm you should see a max voltage of about 13.7 volts.

Sometimes the batter is going bad and the voltage drops low while it's idling to something under 11.5v. Check the voltage of the batter with the key off and see if it's at 12v. If it's much less than that you might have a battery issue. It might be that your flasher is flashing to slow at low RPM and it's working correctly at higher RPM. What is the flash rate?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the flashing at, say highway rpm (like 5-6 grand) is almost a solid. At idle it's much more regular. (i just replaced the flasher by the way, with a known good one.)

It's acting like it did when I had no voltage regulator on it, which was for a while since it fell off on the highway one day. I remember testing the voltages with a multimeter back then and it went from 12ish to almost 17 as I revved the engine.

I rode the bike for almost a full season with no regulator.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
hiemet said:
Well the flashing at, say highway rpm (like 5-6 grand) is almost a solid. At idle it's much more regular. (i just replaced the flasher by the way, with a known good one.)

It's acting like it did when I had no voltage regulator on it, which was for a while since it fell off on the highway one day. I remember testing the voltages with a multimeter back then and it went from 12ish to almost 17 as I revved the engine.

I rode the bike for almost a full season with no regulator.
If it goes to 17v then the regulator is not working. You might get by with no regulator for a while but watch the battery as it will tend to boil the water out of it. I've heard of people running without the regulators but it's not something I'd since they are so inexpensive to replace. You'll pay for it the first time you have to replace your battery in 6 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts