Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1971 SL 350 (CB 350 engine)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a CB350 engine on my SL350 that is kick start only. My battery is about a month old, and just had it on a trickle charge all night and day and the charger says it’s at 100%. My lights will turn on, but nothing happens when I try to kick it started. Not even a little putter or anything. Tried starting with gas cap open, it has plenty of fuel, is in neutral (as far as I can tell). Tried different combos of choke/no choke, gas on reserve etc. I rode it yesterday for about an hour and it was doing great, started right up. Recently had new carbs put in and had idle and points all tuned. I’m stumped! just wondering where to start. It has been having some issues with oil leaking from the top gasket and the battery doesn’t seem to charge at all while riding. I know that I need to investigate the wiring at the regulator/rectifier but usually if I just charge the bike before riding it’ll start up great, so haven’t run into this yet. Let me know if y’all have any ideas. Thanks!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello!

I have a CB350 engine on my SL350 that is kick start only. My battery is about a month old, and just had it on a trickle charge all night and day and the charger says it’s at 100%. My lights will turn on, but nothing happens when I try to kick it started. Not even a little putter or anything. Tried starting with gas cap open, it has plenty of fuel, is in neutral (as far as I can tell). Tried different combos of choke/no choke, gas on reserve etc. I rode it yesterday for about an hour and it was doing great, started right up. Recently had new carbs put in and had idle and points all tuned. I’m stumped! just wondering where to start. It has been having some issues with oil leaking from the top gasket and the battery doesn’t seem to charge at all while riding. I know that I need to investigate the wiring at the regulator/rectifier but usually if I just charge the bike before riding it’ll start up great, so haven’t run into this yet. Let me know if y’all have any ideas. Thanks!!
3 things needed to run are ; spark, fuel, compression. If bike ran OK yesterday, the only likely missing condition is spark. I expect you have handlebar "kill switch" in "OFF" position, and there is no spark. That's OK, everybody makes that mistake from time to time. If it does not fire in a few kicks, stop kicking and look for the cause. Is it turned ON? Good Luck, HondaJohn

1 - 2 of 2 Posts