Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m somewhat close to finally starting my 68 CB450 after a few years apart. It took a new crank & head work (thanks tools1!).

There are 3 wires near the coils that I seem to remember are not used: black/red and red/green and a green double female. Am I correct that these are unused?

I also installed an old battery to check my connections and all systems seem to work (the horn barely bleats and the starter solenoid only clicks) with the exception of the turn signals. They don’t light or flash; as the battery is barely functioning is there enough amps to make it do so. It will be at least a week plus before a new battery and charger arrive so I wanted to chase down things now if I can, so does the flasher unit need a mostly charged battery to flash?

thanks,
Adam

·
Sensei
27,179 Posts
I’m somewhat close to finally starting my 68 CB450 after a few years apart. It took a new crank & head work (thanks tools1!).

There are 3 wires near the coils that I seem to remember are not used: black/red (This color wire does not exist in the stock harness) and red/green (Neutral light circuit only) and a green double female.(Ground connections) Am I correct that these are unused?

I also installed an old battery to check my connections and all systems seem to work (the horn barely bleats and the starter solenoid only clicks) with the exception of the turn signals. They don’t light or flash; as the battery is barely functioning is there enough amps to make it do so. It will be at least a week plus before a new battery and charger arrive so I wanted to chase down things now if I can, so does the flasher unit need a mostly charged battery to flash?

thanks,
Adam
See annotations above.......

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The second mystery wire is red with a green tracer, not the other way around.
in all other respects it’s a stock ‘68 front drum brake light switch wire harness, bought as NOS 18 years ago (not that it is).
i was also curious what, if any, accessory might have been located there.

·
Sensei
27,179 Posts
Green with a Red tracer would be for the neutral light switch circuit....
There IS NO red with green tracer wire in a stock '68 450 harness........

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My harness is marked 292-7532. Looking on line, a CB450P harness has both black/red and red/green. I’ll look in my headlight cause I seem to remember extra wires in there too.
probably just aftermarket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts