Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure about all the models, but I know the CB400N Superdream that I'm working on came out with a collector box between the two header pipes below the motor. Some of the modifications done on my bike prior to me taking ownership, was that this was removed and short straight through link pipes were inserted to take up the space. I've just come from one of the local bike shops and the owner (who's an accomplished mechanic and reliable source) is of the opinion that it'll be a good idea to have some sort of link pipe built to increase back pressure and torque, especially low down in the rev range.

I know that my Dad and I had the same discussion while building the exhaust to an old 350 Chevy V8 exhaust and the various exhaust companies had some very different opinions.

Any knowledge or opinions here that I can tap into?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Your not going to out engineer Honda and they did this for a specific reason to get the bikes engine to perform its best for the application. You can run it straight and it will run yet not at optimum performance. The stock carb jetting may be slightly off too and as you noted it was put there to enhance the low end torque and overall performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts